Evenstar

"You knew this would happen."

We were travelling through the darkness, trying to reach Rivendell as fast as we possibly could, when Aragorn had spoken to me. Well, more like growled at me actually.

"Yes." I answered, focusing all my attention on the ground, trying to look anywhere except Aragorn.

"Why didn't you protect him?" he hissed, and I shook my head. I seemed to be doing a lot of that lately.

"There are reasons that are beyond you, Aragorn." I mumbled, ashamed at myself, even when I knew Frodo had to be hurt.

"Frodo could have been killed, and you think only of your reasons?!" I frowned at him.

"Frodo was not meant to die this day, and again, I tell you, there are reasons to my actions that you do not see. The halfling will live Aragorn, I give you my word."

"Your word may not be enough." he hissed, and turned away, effectively ending the conversation. I sighed and turned back to Sam, Merry and Pippin, urging them on. We soon arrived at what Sam only described as 'Mr. Bilbo's trolls'. The statues were worn and cracked, plants growing all over the isolated monuments of a time long before mine.

Aragorn placed Frodo in the shadow of one of the stone trolls and turned around, peering intently into the darkness, searching for any sign of movement.

"He's going cold!" Sam's voice rang out through the trees and I cringed; he seemed so loud in the near silence.

"Is he going to die?" Pippin's sorrow seeped through to his voice. Aragorn opened his mouth to answer but I cut him off.

"No, Pippin, Frodo will not die this day." Aragorn glared at me and I glared back. "Nor will he become a wraith." Aragorn turned away and called Sam over to him. They spoke in hushed tones before they both rushed off into the night, leaving the Merry, Pippin and I caring for Frodo in any way we could.

Not ten minutes after they had disappeared into the night, the ranger and the hobbit returned, but with them was them was another. I jumped to my feet and gave a little bow.

"My lady."

She looked at me, confused, but nodded, and I backed away from Frodo, pleased she had arrived. She knelt down next to Frodo, with Aragorn right beside her.

"Who is she?" Merry whispered.

"That is the lady Arwen." I whispered back, causing Merry to spin and look at me.

"He's fading." she mumbled, "He's not going to last. We must get him to my father." She glanced up at Aragorn and they lifted Frodo off the ground, taking him over to the mare Arwen had arrived on.

"Where are you taking him?" Merry called out, concerned. I put a hand on his shoulder and shook my head at him when he looked up at me. I glanced over at the unlikely pair, and my eyes widened when they began speaking hurriedly in sindarin. It was broken at first, and I could only understand a few words at a time. Then I began to understand everything, as if I had been speaking the language of the elves my entire life. Whoever had transformed me had done a pretty thorough job.

"What are they saying?" Pippin asked, turning to me. I leaned towards him and whispered in his ear.

"Frodo is dying. If I can get him across the river, the power of my people will protect him." I stopped as they switched back to the common tongue.

"I do not fear them." Arwen breathed the words, and I had to strain my ears to make out what she had said. Aragorn nodded slightly and moved aside, allowing Arwen up onto her horse.

"Ride hard, and don't look back." Aragorn said, and she gave a curt nod before riding off into the night.

"What are you-" I put my hand on Sam's shoulder, telling him to stop. Aragorn simply stared off into the surrounding forests.

"Get some sleep. Do not worry about Frodo, he will be alright."

I took my own advice and settled down under a stone troll, arranging a blanket ontop of me.

"How can you be so sure?" Sam asked, and I shrugged.

"I could not explain it to you if I tried." with that, I closed my eyes, and knew no more.