Amon Hen

The next day was more of the same, an endless river and more paddling. We turned a bend in the river and two massive stone statues stood on either bank. I think they were called the Argonath, great kings of Gondor. I craned my neck to peer at their faces as we passed between them. As tall as mountains, they were. Our boats were only the size of their toes.

The river continued on, snaking through the trees, before opening up into a huge lake. The shore was incredibly steep and rocky. There was only one moderately flat beach to stop on, so Aragorn began leading us towards it. I looked up at the sky, and the sun was still at it's peak.

"Why are we stopping already? we have at least another hour of travel time." I shouted above the roar of the waterfall, which was probably a good kilometre and a bit away still.

"Orcs patrole the eastern shore. We will cross at nightfall."

The sound of the boats scrapeing against the shore made me grind my teeth together. I jumped out of the bow of our boat and onto the beach so I wouldn't have to get my feet too wet. Nothing worse than soggy boots.

We got all the necessary supplies out of the boats and set up a little camp that would do untill night fell. Sam got out his pans and cooked some bacon to go with our lambas bread.

"We will approach Mordor from the north." Aragorn announced. "We'll hide the boats and continue on foot after that."

"Oh? Just a simple matter of finding our way through Emyn muil, an impassable labrynth of razor sharp rocks, and after that, it gets even better! Festering, stinking marshlands, as far as the eye can see!" Gimli protested.

"That is our road, master dwarf. I suggest you get some rest and recover your strength."

"Recover-" Gimli sputtered.

Aragorn walked over to the boats to grab another bag and Legolas came up beside him and spoke in hushed tones. From the looks on their faces, it seemed like a pretty serious little conversation.

My eyes began to slide closed, and I jolted back awake. There was no way I could fall asleep right now. My eyes flicked over to Boromir, who was fidgeting and poking at the fire. Slowly, he got to his feet and turned towards the woods.

"Boromir-" I called.

his head whipped in my direction and he forced a smile.

"Fear not, I only go in search of more wood for the fire." Without another word, he turned away and dissapeared into the trees.

I sat, staring at the place he had dissapeared for a few minutes, my brain not really caught up to what was and what was about to be.

Eventually, I did catch up. Frantically, I glanced around the camp. No Frodo.

Bloody hell. Why does this shit always happen to me?

"Sam?" I called, "You had better take these."

Sam approached me cautiously, and I pulled out the lambas bread I had been saving and gave it to him.

"What's this for?"

"You will soon see. Take good care of it, and keep it close to you. Now, and later. Try to keep it hidden, and keep it safe. It might make a big difference for you later on."

Sam's brows knit together and he looked just as confused on the outside as he probably felt on the inside.

"Good luck."

I tried to give him the most reassuring smile I could muster before informing Aragorn of our missing party members.

"Aragorn-"

"What is it now Mormeril?"

"Well Boromir and Frodo are gone. Just thought you ought to know."

"What?!" Frantically, he scanned the camp for Frodo or Boromir. "I'm going to find Frodo. You stay here." He turned away from me and started towards the trees.

"What? No I'm coming with." I jumped to my feet and hurried after him.

He spun on me.

"Stay at camp!"

"Like hell I will!"

He let out a frustrated breath and stalked off into the woods, me hot on his trail. There was no way I was staying behind this time, not with that hoarde of orcs so near.

For a while, we walked in silence.

"You're a stubborn man." I said.

"And you're a liar."

"I don't lie. A waste of my time lying is."

"Then you're a traitor."

"I thought we were over this."

"You let Gandalf die. We will never be over this."

"I told you. I did what I had to. I couldn't compromise the mission by saving Gandalf. Perhaps someday you will forgive me my tresspasses, perhaps someday you will even thank me."

"I doubt it."

"We'll see."

We walked for a while in uncomfortable silence, with no sign of Frodo or Boromir. Soon however, we came into a little clearing with a raised stone platform. The architecture seemed elven, but one can never really be sure. It all looked pretty much the same to me.

Suddenly, Frodo appeared out of thin air and landed on the ground with a thump and a gasp. I winced. That had to hurt.

Aragorn leaped forward to help Frodo up. I opened my mouth to call him back, but closed it just as quickly. There was no point in arguing with a charging bull.

He placed his hand on Frodo's shoulder, a little forcefully if I might say so.

"Frodo?"

Frodo started and jolted away from Aragorn, before seeing it was us and visibly relaxing. He was in no way relaxed though.

"The ring has taken Boromir," he said.

"Are you sure?"

"You can see it in his eyes, Aragorn," I said. "Frodo, you must go."

"Would you take it, Aragorn?" Frodo asked, offering the innocent looking gold band to Aragorn.

Aragorn stiffened.

"I would have gone with you to the end."

A faint blue glow began to appear around Frodo. The tell-tale blue glow of Sting's orc sensing abilities in full swing illuminated the darkness.

"Frodo, run!" Aragorn shouted. "Run!"

The hobbit's eyes widened for a moment, and then he was gone. The last we would see of our poor hobbit-chan for some time.

"DON'T FORGET TO EAT YOUR VEGETABLES!" I shouted after him.

Aragorn fixed me with a glare.

"What?" I shrugged. "Hobbits have to keep up on their meals."

We turned towards the oncoming hoard of orcs in synch, and drew our swords. I grinned like a demon straight from hell.

"Let's get this party started."