thirteen; the body in the quarry

Începe de la început

"Uh no, it was almost human, but it wasn't. It, It had these long arms and it didn't have a face —"

"Didn't have a face?" Both Mary and Jim chorused before her father continued with, "Joyce." But the woman quickly spoke over him.

"It didn't have a face!"

"Joyce, listen to me. Listen to me," Mary's father said as he inched closer to the frantic woman, holding the side of her arms to stop her relentless pacing, "After Sara, I saw her too." He said and Mary diverted her gaze, looking down to her feet as her stomach churned. It were the first time she had heard her father speak his daughters name sober.

"And I heard her too," He said, "I didn't know what was real. And then I figured out it was all in my mind. And I had to pack all that away. Otherwise, I was going to fall down a hole I couldn't get out of — and I couldn't do that, because I had Mary. Just like you have Jonathan." He explained before Mary quickly brushed by them, her eyes burning with tears as she headed to the bathroom right beside Jonathan's room that had his name on it.

She slammed the door shut behind her and locked it, still hearing the faint voices of her father and Joyce speaking as she clutched onto the sink, looking at herself in the mirror; tears leaked from her eyes, her throat was tight and her chest moved from heavy breaths.

Hearing Sara's name were still difficult and it wasn't often she heard it, only when her father was drunk and awake which were an unusual combination. But with the events happening in Hawkins, little boys showing up dead and mothers being heartbroken, Mary felt a lot of similarity to it.

The girl looked up when there were a slight buzzing coming from above her and she noticed the bulb above her head were flickering and she narrowed her eyes up at it.

There were a light knock at the door and Mary jumped on the spot before sniffling, quickly wiping her face, "Mary, come on. We're leaving." Her father called in and she exhaled deeply, taking a quick glance at her slightly red face before rushing to the door and unlocking it.

Her father offered the smallest of smiles, patting her back before leading her to the front door where Joyce sat on the couch, her head in her hands and Mary paused to look over at the woman, "I'm really sorry for your loss, Misses Byers." She apologised sincerely and the mother looked up at her, her cheeks hollow and eyes wild.

"It's alright, sweetheart. Will's right here," She assured and Mary felt chills move down her spine, "He's here."

     ———

           After Jim had drove Mary home, the girl had waited until he had left in the dark again before she got in her car and began driving

After Jim had drove Mary home, the girl had waited until he had left in the dark again before she got in her car and began driving. She was beginning to get worried about Charlie — she hadn't had so much as a phone call from him and after what had happened to Will, she needed to know he was safe.