Chapter 12

"Henry?" Rose called out as I made my way to her. She stepped away from her work, receiving a yell from her manager in response "HEY! GET BACK TO WORK, BIT-" he stopped mid sentence after realizing that she was coming towards me. "Henry what are you doin' here? You know I'm workin'." She said brushing the fallen hair out of my face that came out while Caleb and I were in midst of that tumble. "Dear God, Henry! What happened to yo' face? Who did this?" I didn't want to hurt her feelings; I knew that telling her Caleb threw his fist at me would crush her spirits. "I'm fine, really. It doesn't matter who hit me, alright?" Her face maintained its curiosity and anger, but she slowly nodded her head up and down in response. "Thank you," I said with a kiss on the forehead. "I need your assistance in the woods." Rose's head quickly shot up "Whateva' for?" "Don't worry, alright? The chief already knows about it. We just have to bring back some wood for the fire." She grabbed my hand firmly and let me with a jolt towards the wood.

We talked for what seemed like hours, reminding me of the first night we spoke to one another. It almost felt like a form of witchcraft, how she casted these spells on me and my heart. Although I loved walking and talking through the pine with her, my feet began to ache, so we decided to stop amongst a clearing and enjoy lunch I packed in my satchel. The trees surrounded our patch of clearly beautifully, allowing the slightest bit of light to pass through its leaves. A stream passed through, allowing a sprinkling of wildflowers to grow in patches. The whole scenery was stunning, but could never compare to my Rose's beauty.

I spread out the blanket from my bag as Rose prepared the lunch. We settled under a large oak tree that lay by the stream. When the food was ready, we sat on the blanket and continued with our babbling of laughter and joy. "Okay okay," I said "you've got to tell me how you've done it." She stared at me with a puzzling look on her face. "You manage to do everything you have to do, maintain a family, and keep our relationship a secret. How have you managed to do this?" Her smile disappeared, and I soon regretted asking her. "It's what I havta do to survive, Henry. I can't control what happens. It just does. Because, if you think seein' you with that woman makes me happy, you're dead wrong. I don't want any of that. It just happened." tears lined her eyes, brining a sadness over my heart. "I'm sorry. I should have known you wouldn't want to talk about such things."

I cupped her hand lightly, bringing my open one up to her face to wipe away the tears. My hand felt so smooth against her mahogany skin as the droplets rained down it. "You should know Rose," I said with a gulp. "I do not want to marry such a horrid woman. I want to marry someone who cares about me, who is kind, gentle, but tough. Someone who knows me, and is willing to go on crazy adventures while we're young, and when you get there, eventually settle down and start a new life together. I've always wanted that with someone. Someone special someone who-" "loves you." She interrupted. "I know the feeling- I've felt the same way." She grasped many hand and continued her confession.

"I know that you wanna nice life, Hen. But I can't make that happen. We won't work, you and me. We're too... differen'." "That's where you're wrong!" I said "We may be different, but we're so similar as people and not a race. Sure. We have different families and backgrounds. We don't have the same color, but that's okay because we both have the same feeling for one another. Love." I pecked her quickly on the lips and stood her up. With my heart racing, I kneeled slowly, taking her palms into mine. "Rose. I love you with so much of my heart. And although I cannot stop this wedding, I want you to be mine, not Charolette. I want to marry you, so I have come up with a plan. The day before the wedding hits, at nightfall we will rouse and escape. We'll leave this place forever and start our own lives together."

I could feel her hand slipping away as she tugged between choices. "I-I know this is a lot to ask. But you have done so much for others your entire life, isn't it time you do something for yourself?" Hesitation filled her senses, biting her lip and tapping her toe proving so. It was a long silence filled with anticipation before her long-awaited response of "Yes. I'll do it. Let's do it."

I practically jumped up and down as I grinned from ear to ear. Kissing her up and down, we met at each other's grasps and decided to stay there awhile in each other's arms.

It was official. Holding her like this made me realize the truth of my actions: I was running away with the love of my life, and nothing would stop us now.

AN: holy crap! I am SO sorry this took so long to release! I promise I will be posting over break at least twice (within the next two weeks). Thank you all so much for over 1.50k reads! I never thought this story would ever amount to that. Thank you guys, this story could not be what it is without you all .