Chapter 27.1 - Pursuit

Xantia was in a foul mood - dust caught in her throat, the caravan's pace was painfully slow, and everyone else spoke a language that she did not understand. All of it combined to grate on her nerves.

Two days to reach to the mountains. Five days to get over them. Four days after that to reach Morcham and give Liege Marext his report. Eleven days. Then it's done. Collect my pay and leave.

I hate these plains. Endless grass in summer, endless snow in winter. The sooner my back is to them the better.

I will never take a job from The Liege again, no matter how well paid it is.

Stupid barbarians. How did they get tangled up with bloodknights? Well, they will be dead soon if they still have the box. I hope they dropped it and fled. That would have been the sensible thing to do. That's what I would have done. At least then they'll have a chance.

Stupid barbarians.

Six Bloodknights.

And Emerek...

"Damn it!" she spat. She yanked the reins of her horse. The startled beast spun around. She kicked her heels into its flanks. "Ya! Gallop you useless nag!" The horse, lazy from hours of slow plodding, reared up neighing. It shook its mane as if tossing away the lethargy. Its hooves hit the dirt trail and it, and Frost, were off.

"Hey!" shouted the leader of the caravan. "Where are you going?"

"To die!" Xantia called back. Within seconds she was hidden in the dust cloud that sprang up from her horse's thundering hooves.

"We all have to die," muttered the caravan owner, "but why do you need my horse to do it?"

***

"Thank you for everything you have done for us," Alam clasped hands with Hannah and Iwan.

"Yes," echoed Tajar, "I will never be able to repay the debt."

"You are welcome," smiled Hannah.

Alam and Tajar jumped nimbly onto their horses - Alam on Mist, and Tajar on a sturdy short horse that the two healers had given him. Hannah and Iwan had also provided them with saddlebags full of food, thick blankets, fresh warm clothes, and a copy of Brother Unher's map. With no money Alam knew it would have been impossible to gather the supplies without their generosity.

"Please hurry," Hannah urged. "Summer is fading. In the northern mountains summer is short, and in many valleys it never comes at all. Most of the people who hunt up there will already be returning, not setting out."

"Thank you for your concern. We have taken it to heart," replied Alam.

The two young friends waved their final farewells and turned their horses to the north. They rode side by side in silence along the street of Lasthome. People gawked at them, but Alam simply nodded politely to them as they passed. Once the strange square houses were behind them Tajar spoke quietly.

"I wonder what Frost is doing now?" he said with a frown.

"Me too."

"She could have at least said farewell before leaving."

"I know."

"It's pretty rude, really... Not even saying goodbye."

Alam did not feel a reply was needed.

"If you were in her place, you would have said goodbye, right?"

Alam kept his gaze in front of Mist.