Chapter 20.1 - Flight

"We have to go now!" Frost hissed as she ran into Alam's tent.

"Why are you covered in blood?" Alam stood up in shock. She was a mess.

"Here is your box. I hope it was worth it." She threw it to him and ran to Tajar's tent.

Alam caught it in two hands. The world changed jarringly. Colour was gone but his sight was much clearer than the last vision - less obscured. The woman in the vision was weeping. Her face was puffy with tears. In response, a baby started crying. Alam recognised that he was again seeing through the infant's eyes though he had no emotional connection with the baby, or the woman for that matter. The woman kissed him, or at least kissed the baby whose eyes he was seeing through, over and over. She placed the child on the cold, hard ground and backed away from him and out of his vision.

Suddenly Alam was back in the tent.

"Why are you showing me this woman and baby?" he muttered to the box.

Is the baby in danger?

Is the woman Clarisai?

He gripped the box and closed his eyes in an attempt to bring the vision back. It did not work.

Frost stuck her head in Alam's tent. "What are you doing? We need to go! Now!"

Alam silently grabbed a blanket, wrapped his meagre possessions in it, and followed Frost and Tajar outside. Within minutes they were at the large corral where Khashbal Clan kept their horses. They rushed and easily overpowered the two warriors who were supposed to be looking after the animals. In truth they had been taking better care of their wine skins than the horses. After they were gagged and bound the three companions opened the gate to choose a steed. Frost and Tajar grabbed the first ones that they could reach, but Alam climbed the corral gate and peered over the milling horses.

"Hurry up!" Frost said. "What are you looking for?"

"Mist. Tajar, help me find her. It won't be hard. If she's here she'll be the biggest one."

"This is taking too much time!" Frost complained.

"Then stop talking and help us," Tajar bit back. He let go of the horse he had chosen and started walking through the agitated animals.

"I see her!" said Alam. He vaulted over the fence and strode up to his horse. "Hello girl. I've missed you."

How and where Frost had found the saddles, bits and bridles Alam and Tajar did not ask as they put the tack on their horses.

"Help me break the corral," said Frost.

"Why?" asked Alam. It was an unthinkable crime.

"So we can't be followed of course!"

"But those horses are the lives and wealth of their owners!" Alam argued back.

"They are also our death!"

"Have you no honour?" scorned Tajar.

"If all the horses escape how will the clan survive?" demanded Alam.

"At the moment I'm thinking more about how we will survive."

"Clearly," said Tajar.

"Frost," Alam said with forced patience. "Here on the Plains honour is important in both life and death. It is considered better to die an honourable death than live a long life in shame. We will leave the corral intact, with all the horses inside."

"Fine!" she spat. "As long as you realise that your honourable life is going to be less than a day long!"

The first hints of dawn were touching the eastern horizon when they left the camp riding hard. After a few minutes riding they rounded a small hillock and came face to face with two perimeter guards.