The First Meeting

"Grace!"I hear someone yell.

 Today is officially the end of my busy first week of work. Thank goodness! 

I turn my head to see my co-worker and new roommate, Katelyn standing there. "Hey, can you take my shift in the E.R. tonight? they want me to work the desk," she asks. I let out a long breath and finally reply "yes". Well, there go my plans for a relaxing night. 

I moved to New York a few weeks ago with two of my friends and co-workers. We were offered a once in a lifetime opportunity, by having this hospital pay off our loans and while allowing us to go back to school. Currently, I am a nurse, but I am in the process of going back to school to be a nurse practitioner. I live with two of my best friends, Katelyn, Katie, and Lily. We just got an amazing new apartment on the upper east side, relatively close to the hospital. 

The good news is that the E.R. is relatively slow for a Friday night, so I should be able to get some studying done.  

"Hey, Grace, can you take the guy sitting over there? He claims there is something wrong with his hand." Spencer, my new co-worker says.  I begin to walk toward the guy, who is currently flipping through a magazine when he looks up. We both make brief eye contact, I could have sworn he smirked. 

"Hello, my name is Grace, I will be your nurse today if you will follow me," I tell him.  

We walk into the room and he sits down.  "Please tell me your full name, birthday and age,"

"John Fitzgerald Kennedy Jr., November 25, 1960, 22," he replies. I briefly look up as I am writing this information down, and find him fiddling with his thumbs with a look of defeat on his face.

 "Why are you here today?" I ask, already knowing my answer from what looks to be a swollen hand.

"I feel while riding my bike and landed funny on my hand, I do not think I need to be here, but my sister insisted I came in after the swelling refused to go down." 

"Okay, well let's see what we got," I begin to touch his hand, and he winces in pain. 

"Does this hurt?" I ask him while touching his hand 

"Just a  bit," he replies, obviously lying. 

"I am going to send you for an x-ray and then the doctor will be in shortly after," I tell him before leaving. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I walk back in now with a doctor, and Johns scans. John has an obvious broken bone, which will need to be in a cast for at least four weeks. The Doctor leaves the room and I begin to wrap his wrist for the cast. 

"Okay, you are going to need to schedule a follow-up appointment at the front desk, with this cast no swimming or getting it wet, and no activities that could cause you to injure yourself more, such as riding a bike," I explain to him.

"Sounds good," he replies. John follows me out of the room and up to the front desk, I turn to go in back and he says, "Bye Grace, nice meeting you! Hopefully, I will see you again." with a smile. 

I silently groan inside because I hate when patients act this way, but I say, "bye." hopefully he will take a hint. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After John walks out, I just sit down and relax because I currently have no more patients. 

"OHHHH MY GODDDD," Katelyn screams as she comes running toward me, 

"what," I reply as the other nurses begin to freak out.

"JFK JR WAS JUST HERE!! I CANNOT BELIEVE IT HE'S BASICALLY ROYALTY!!" she says. Well, I am so glad my shift just ended, so I can leave before the whole hospital goes crazy with the news. 

"Well, I am heading out, I will see you all later, have a good night." and I collect all my thing and head home.