◈ Chapter 7 ◈

When they arrived at their campsite, panting and exhausted, while Eren collapsed on the ground to give his aching sore legs a break, Jean wasted no time in heading straight for their shared tent. Eren could hear him muttering and hissing curses under his breath as his lover rummaged hastily through bags. The sound evident through the thick silence enveloping around them.

Heavy pants left Eren's lips, as he sluggishly searched through the closest cooler for a bottle of water. Only to find it empty. The only remains are of empty cans of beer and sodas.

Letting out a tired groan, Eren slumped against the side of the cooler, ignoring how the dirt stuck to his legs, running his hands through his hair and tugging on it as he dragged his knees up to his chest. Eyes squeezed tightly shut and body still thumping with adrenaline, he took deep breaths to calm his still racing heart. His mind drifted to his thoughts.

Where is everyone? Oh god,  he grit his teeth hard. He hoped he could find the rest soon. He didn't want to lose them at the hands of some physco! He just couldn't leave them here. But they needed to find help, and fast. If not. . . .

"Eren?" Jean came out of the tent, hair disheveled and sweat dripping down the side of his defined face. He watched as his boyfriend weakly looked up at him from his spot on the ground, noticeable bags under his big, tired eyes.

"Jean? Where are the rest?" Eren asked quietly. Almost as if he were afraid to ask the question. Just the thought of all his friends out there pained him. Struck something in his heart. He was not only afraid for himself but for his friends.

Jean sighed heavily and shook his head. "I don't know. . . " he murmured, eyes casted to the ground. Silence surrounded them and the only thing that could be heard was the rustling of the trees and small howl of the wind picking up.

Then a distant snap! startled them and caused them to tense in their spots. Eren's breath hitched, blood running cold from where he sat as Jean whipped around to search in the dark. Amber eyes frantically darting from tree to tree to search for the source.

They waited.

It wasn't until Mikasa came crashing through the bushes, smudges of dirt covering her clothes and pale face, that they relaxed little. She stumbled forward just in time for Jean to catch her by the shoulders, supporting her so she wouldn't collapse onto the ground.

"Mikasa!" He shouted in worry, relieved to find at least one of his friends.

"Mika!" Eren shot up, eyes wide as he quickly rushed to his sister's side, tears of relief streaming down his cheeks as he clutched onto her with a hard grip. He could feel the way her muscles were tightly tensed under him. She looked exhausted, more so than they did, and she had multiple cuts and slashes marring her legs and arms.

Mikasa froze at the sound of her name from her brother. Eyes wide in disbelief, like she couldn't believe she was actually hearing the one voice she ached and had searched for. Her head shot up, as she croaked, "E-Eren?"

The second silver met familiar vibrant green, she quickly threw herself onto the brunette, her own tears slipping free as she cried in relief. "Eren!" She sniffled, and buried her face in his shoulder, as she gripped onto him, afraid to let go for fear of losing him again in this endless hell.

Eren hugged her back, and despite the fact that she had been running for who knows how long and is covered in sweat and dirt, she still smelled like home. His chest ached deeply just thinking about it---- about his mother and how worried she'd be if they didn't return.

They had to make it.

Pulling away, Mikasa leaned her forehead against Eren's as she caught her breath and regained herself. Just seeing Eren alive and standing here safely before her lifted a huge weight of relief off her shoulders for she had been terrified of losing him forever. She had almost given up on searching for the others, and Eren as well.