Chapter 35

It's been 3 weeks since I received the letter from the rebels and things have been anything but sane. Maxon has done everything he can with finding a way to stop the rebels and making a plan to demolish the caste. The advisers certainly aren't helping him calm down. Telling him that they need to find a way to do both then they let Maxon do it all. I had to go down there and yell at them to tell them to help their Prince and to not sit on their asses.

Tomorrow is mine and Maxon's coronation and I'm running around like a chicken with its head cut off. Silvia is going over all the expectations as Queen and all the work that's goes into it. The problem is I've heard the same thing since I entered The Selection. Amberly is sitting across from me and I look at her with pleading eyes. She smiles and nods her, telling Silvia that she would like speak to me alone.

Amberly's doing much better and she is almost back to her happy, graceful self. Maxon and her had some one-on-one time which did her and him some good. Amberly leads me towards the library where we both take a seat, facing each other.

"Are you nervous for tomorrow?" She questions as she smooths out her dress.

"You know me, Amberly, I'm always nervous about these kind of things." I answer honestly with a shaky smile.

"You are going to be a wonderful queen. I'm excited to watch your reign with Maxon."

"Thank you, Amberly, but I could never be half the queen you are." I say looking at her as she shakes her head at me.

"I have a feeling you are going to one of the best queens this country has ever seen." My eyes widen in shock at her words. I may be a good queen but one of the bests? No, Amberly has taken that spot.

"You are the greatest queen the country has and will ever see. The country's going to miss you." She nods her head at my statement, not wanting to start a back and forth argument. We hear the door open, turning our heads we see Maxon strut into the library. He runs a hand through his hair, clearly stressed out. He takes a seat next to me, saying hello to the both of us.

"There is going to be a meeting in an hour and I would like you to be there." He tells me. I nod my head and say I will be there. We start talking small talk. Soon Maxon and I are off the meeting which is most likely about the coronation and see if it helps any. Let's just hope it does.

• • •

The coronation is in less than 2 hours and I'm currently getting prepped by Paige, Mary and Marlee.

"When's your next doctors appointment?"

Marlee and I haven't really been able to talk since we got back, which means we haven't talked about her being pregnant. She's a month along which her baby bump is barely there. Her and Carter are super excited from what I hear from the little talk we have had recently. They decided the keep the sex of the baby a secret, so they have a few names for both. For boys: Sebastian, Liam, Kile and Alexander. For girls: Sophia, Josie, Scarlett and Victoria.

She answers my question with and smile of excitement. I smile along with her.

"It's in a few weeks. The last time we went they said everything was perfect." She says releasing a piece of red from the curly iron.

"That's great. I'm really happy for you."

"Thank you. I just want my baby here already. I just want to him." She says brushing my hair.

"Him? I thought you weren't finding out the sex?" I ask confused.

"We aren't. I just have a feeling it's a boy."

"Motherly intuition?" I say. She laughs and nods her head.

"Exactly."

• • •

"Everyone please stand for the Prince and Princess of Illéa, Maxon and America Schreave!" They announce. The doors open and Maxon and I walk into the huge room. The door way is gigantic which I see why because my dress the biggest thing I've every worn. I swear when they pulled it out I thought it would swallow me whole.

Maxon's grip on me tightens has we walk down the isle. The sides of the isle is filled with people. The most people I've seen in one area ever. I see some girls from the Selection here, but not all. I notice one person isn't here that should. Where's Amberly?

We reach the end of the isle where a slew of people are waiting. Advisers, news reporters, the priest, the bishop, other kings and queens, other princes and princess, and just some people I've never seen before.

First Maxon becomes king then I become queen. Simple as that. Should be easy.

Maxon let's go of me as I step to the side, Maxon kneels down as the bishop takes his crown off, placing it on a velvet pillow and picking up and more extravagant crown holding it above his head. He vows to protect the country and to never let the people down and to put them first. To use his power to bring justice for Illéa and the people. He places the crown on his head and shouts,

"I pronounce you, Maxon Schreave the King of Illéa!" He hands Maxon the orb and staff. After it is placed in his hand the people shout "God save the King!"

Now it's my turn. He repeats what he did with Maxon, taking the crown off my head and placing it on a pillow picking up the other. I vow to protect the country, to bring justice, to put the country first. He places the crown on my head and hands me the orb and staff.

"I pronounce you, America Schreave the queen of Illéa!" Just like Maxon the people shout, "God save the queen!"

Maxon walks over me and kisses my cheek and we turn to face the people with smiles only to have them drop.

"How sweet, I am so happy for our new King and Queen. So I guess she's useless now." A rebel says with a knife to Amberly's throat. Maxon takes a step in front of me and closer to Amberly. Guards start to close in, but this only make him to press the knife into Amberly's neck making blood drip down her neck. I feel a firm hand on my arm, pulling me back. I jump and turn but calm down when I see it was Aspen. He pulls me behind him blocking me from sight of the rebel.

"Let her go!" Maxon shouts, pure fiery in his voice. The rebel just laughs, not affected by his voice.

"If I let her go I wouldn't have any leverage now would I." His tone amused because he knows he has the upper hand.

"I will have your head!" I've never seen Maxon so angry before. His eyes are red with fire and I can see steam coming of his ears.

"Now I would be very careful what you say right now. You see us rebels got bored of killing off the lower castes so we decided go for something bigger. And if this doesn't get your attention then we have another One we can go after," He looks at me and continues," You will do as we say. Or your mother and your wife will pay for your stupidity. Am I understood?"

"I don't take orders from a rebel."

The rebel doesn't seem to like that because for the first his smug, cocky face turns into angry as he glares at Maxon.

"Wrong answer."

The next few seconds happens in a blur.

All I hear is screams of terror and all I see is red and Amberly falling lifelessly to the ground.