Chapter 31

~America's POV~

We are all boarding the plane to go back to Angeles. The ball was 3 days ago and the days that followed were mundane.  After waving to the crowd outside the airport, we got on the plane to go back home. I surprisingly missed the palace while we were in Carolina but it was a nice farewell to my childhood home.

"Angeles here we come." I hear Marlee say as she sits down next to me. I smile at her before releasing a long breath. I close my eyes and I hear everyone starting to talk to each other. I feel someone sit next to me and wrap an arm around me.

"Tired?" Maxon asks. I shake my head before answering.

"No, I'm just ready to get home." I see him nod his head and settle next to me. I lean my head on his shoulder.

"Me too."

"Your mom is with her family, right?"

"Yeah she is, she should be coming home in two weeks." He says. "I'm worried about her."

"Me too, I hope her time away from the palace will help her." I say grabbing his hand and intertwining our fingers.

"I think it will. She won't be hundred percent but maybe she will feel a little better." He says. I nod my head and look at our hands. I feel him kiss my head then brings my hand that is holding his up to his lips and kisses it.

"She'll be fine. She is stronger than any other women I know."

"I love you, America."

"I love you too."

                                    • • •

As we back into the palace advisers bombard Maxon with papers and all of them talking to him at once. He looks at me, I give him a little laugh before giving him a quick kiss on the lips as his advisers drag him away. I walk to our room and lay on the bed. I hear a knock on the door and I sit up and fix myself.

"Come in." Silvia comes in, clipboard in hand.

"Welcome back, Your Majesty." She greets while taking a curtsy.

"Thank you, Silvia. I'm happy to be back."

"Well I'm sure you've guessed why I'm here. We have work to do so let's get started." She moves out of the way so I can go out the door, Silvia following. Once we get to the Women's Room we get right to work. All that I needed to do is sign off on a couple things on the education for Fives and Sixes to join the Fours and Threes.

After that was done I walked back to mine and Maxon's room. I walked in to be greeted by Maxon who was sitting on the bed. He looked up at me and his whole face lit up.

"There you are." He says getting up and greeting me with a kiss and pulling me into his embrace.

"I was with Silvia all day."

"That's what I thought. Did she drive you crazy?" He says with a humorous chuckle.

"Only a little." We both share a laugh before he leans his head down to kiss me again. We pull away when we hear the door open and Mary and Paige walk in. I follow them towards the closet, Maxon following.

"The advisors think we should tell the public about eliminating the castes." He says as he waits outside the closet while my maids helps get me ready for bed.

"Shouldn't we wait till we have more of a developed plan before we do that?" I ask as Mary helps me out of my dress and into my nightgown.

"That's what I thought. I just told them that I would talk with you before we do anything drastic." I walk out of the closet to the bathroom and brush my teeth. I hear the door close which lets me know my maids left. I walk out of the bathroom and over to the bed. I get under the covers and turn to face Maxon only find him looking at me.

"Why do they want to rush everything?" I ask wrapping my arms around his neck.

"They think it will please everyone and calm them down but I don't think they realize the upper castes won't be to happy. Then everyone will ask questions we won't have any answers to because the idea is still in development." It's things like this that make me wonder if advisors have any common sense. They just rush into things without thinking of the negative outcomes. I roll my eyes and Maxon laughs as he pulls me close. He brings his lips down to mine in a tender kiss. He brings his hand up to my hair and knots his hand in it. I trace his bicep with my finger as he gives on top of me, one leg between mine and the other beside my left leg. Everything around us just melts away as we share this mind numbing kiss with a great fire. The kiss soon slows leaving us both gasping for air. Maxon lays back down and pulls me towards him. I feel my eyes get heavy as I listen to his steady heartbeat. I feel a soft kiss on my head as he lightly strokes my arm with his hand.

"I love you, Maxon."

"I love you, America."