Chapter 40

"You don't understand, America." Maxon says exasperatedly.

"Then stop yelling and help me understand what the hell your problem is!"

"If we don't get this done and out to the public the rebels could come back and start killing people again! We started the process so now we have to continue it." He explains for the 50th time. He gets up from his chair and starts pacing the room.

"Why are you letting the rebels rule everything you do! It's like they're the ones ruling the country!"

"I'm sorry I become wary when people's lives are on the line! When your life is on the line! So, yes I apologize I'm not stopping th-"

I cut him because clearly it's him not understanding, "I'm not asking you to stop the process I'm just saying take a breather. You've working your ass off for the past months. I understand your king, but I need my husband." He turns and looks at me and takes a couple steps closer to me

"I'm right here, America! How many times do we need to have this argument. Do you think I like seeing you only a couple of times a week. You are not the only person in this marriage! Why can't you get through your head that I have a job to do!" He says as he gestures with each word.

"Like I said I get your king but I'm the queen and I still try a find time for you. I want to act like a couple, like a normal married couple. I know that's not possible but we can try!"

"Always optimist, America. Things aren't that simple! We are the King and Queen meaning we need to make sacrifices and our time together is one of those sacrifices. I don't like it but it's what has to happen." He sits back in his chair again almost tiredly. I shake my head with a sigh.

"You know what? I'm done. I can't deal with this right now. I can't deal with you right now. Have fun with whatever the hell your doing cause I'm done."

"What do you mean your don-"

I cut him off as I slam his office door. I can hear his muffled voice calling my name through the door but he doesn't come after me. I walked around the corner only to be stopped by a familiar voice.

"Holy crap. I've heard some of your guys fights before but never have I heard one that bad."

I smile as I towards Aspen to hug him. He's been in Carolina to help patrol in case rebels come. He just recently got back a few days ago.

"I swear I want to rip my hair out with him sometimes," He chuckles lightly, "Anyway how are things with you and Lucy?"

"We're good, amazing actually. I'm planning on proposing soon."

"Really! That's awesome. I'm so happy for you two."

"Thanks, I also heard that Marlee is pregnant."

"Yeah she is. I think she's 7 months pregnant. Her and Carter are having a boy."

"Well I'm happy for them. Tell them I said congratulations. Speaking of babies, what about you and Maxon on having kids?"

"Ugh, lets not talk about him right now. He's pissed me off so much that he's not sleeping the same bed with me tonight."

He laughs and shakes his head, "Well we both have things to do. You have be a Queen and I have to guard."

"Right. I'll see you later, Aspen. It was great catching up."

• • •

I was in my room getting ready for bed and talking to Marlee. Maxon and I still haven't spoken to each other since our fight this morning. Marlee seems to notice that Maxon hasn't come into my room or that I've left to go to his.

"Alright what happened?"

"We had a fight." I say plainly, playing with my hair.

"Oh my god," She's sighs playfully annoyed and rolls her eyes. "What was it this time?"

"A lot of things. Our marriage, the castes, the rebels."

"Yeah I'm not even coming near that." She says as she starts to braid my hair. I give her laugh while rolling my eyes at her.

"Oh! Aspen says congratulations for the baby."

"Well if I see him I'll tell him thanks."

We started talking about random things when the door that connects Maxon and I room opens.

"America, may I speak with you?" Maxon asks.

I look at Marlee and she shakes her head.

"Good luck."

"Yeah I'm gonna need it." I say as I get up and walk towards my husband and mentally prepare myself for what is about to come.