Quarantatré

She'd heard from Kusakabe that Hibari was researching the backgrounds of every male enrolled in the school... 

Mai couldn't even find the strength to laugh. 

It was strange, Hibari was so busy compiling a folder of everyone she should stay away from -basically every male in Hibari's eyes but he was being lenient - that he didn't have time to spend with her. They barely spoke in the mornings since Hibari was knee deep in papers. And on the way to school he was still organising and going through them. 

Eventually Mai began to walk with her friends instead. Suddenly reminded of that week break they had once. It was kinda thanks to that - that she wasn't breaking down and becoming a sorry mess right now. 

But two weeks passed, barely a word being spoken between them. Mai had purposefully distanced herself from the boys in her classes, ate lunch with her girl friends, caught up with Kusakabe... that's it. 

"Mai." Her name sounded so wonderful when spoken in his voice, the uncaring and sharp tone. He sat on his bed, back to the wall, holding a large, probably way too heavy for her to hold, folder. 

She turned to him from where she was doing homework on the small table. He held out the folder and waited as she got up and crawled onto the edge of the bed - she's gonna need all the support she could get - before taking the unbelievably heavy file from him. Squeaking when she couldn't hold it, the mass of papers slammed onto her lap. It hurt a little.

She frowned a little after reading through the detailed files of just a single boy.

"This is unnecessary..." She muttered, flipping through the million pages that there probably were. "I don't plan on getting near to any of these people, it would just be a fleeting friendship in the end anyway." 

Hibari had to admit she had a point. She had all of the disciplinary committee, as much as he hates the idea, those Vongola herbivores, and that pineapple bastard. Even the Haneuma and the sky child... Uni? 

"I'm content with how it is currently." She smiled finally, struggling, but managing, to place the files aside. Then she pouted, "Frankly, I'm a little insulted you think so little of my loyalty." 

She was joking.

Hibari didn't joke. 

He clicked his tongue, guilty as charged.  

While he was mulling over it, slightly agitatedly, Mai smiled at the sight. 

If now wasn't the time, when was? 

She took his face in her hands and before he could open his eyes and question what she was doing, she'd placed her lips over his; differently than how she kissed him before. It wasn't as innocent and gentle, still was, but there was the underlying feeling of desire, pure love. He hadn't gotten that from her other kisses, as love filled as they were, this one was deeper. 

He wasn't complaining, getting her to kiss him like this again... he almost couldn't wait. 

Her hands migrated from his jaw to his shoulders, balancing her and preventing her from falling straight onto him. It was a little nerve wracking for her, Hibari hadn't made any move to take over yet. Having him so docile was strange. She had to admit she preferred it when he was all over her, not even caring if she fell over, spilt tea - anything. Whereas she was so aware of her surroundings, she made no move to do anything but kiss him. 

Sensing that she was just going to leave the sensation on his lips crying out for more, his left hand grabbed her right, fiddling around for a while before successfully entwining their fingers. His first show of dominance was grabbing the back of her head, preventing her from moving back. His fingers tangled themselves in her black hair, as her own tightened their grip on his hand, so quickly she was overwhelmed. How stimulating.