13.00

Dave and Frank entered a run down pub with a strange name to do with a snake, a creature not seen in decades. There was sawdust on the floor, it smelt of sick, tobacco and dark ale.

They took a table at the back of the bar. The pub was full of proles, proles not concerned with party members, too removed from the party or plain drunk to care about their presence. Two pints of cheap beer were poured, placed on Dave and Frank's table.

'How long you been working with the Thought Police Dave?' said Frank.

'Ten years, seven of those with you Frank.' Dave took a look at the beer, Frank had not touched his. Frank knew how long Dave had been thought police.

'I received your file upon completing training. Real turnaround weren't you. And despite your previous discretions you've been a one of the best detectives in my unit.'

'Thanks Frank', said Dave with as much enthusiasm as he could muster.

'Funny the proles, aren't they Dave. People think that they are stupid but I don't think so. They know their place. They watch their football, argue with their wives. Play the lottery, of which they do in their millions.' Frank looked blankly at Dave, his hands in his lap.

'I have heard the rumours the most read page in The Times newspaper is the lottery, more so than the great victories of Big Brother that reach the front page!' Said Dave with a smile.

'You've heard rumours have you Dave, what an interesting thing to say.' Dave's cheek muscles clenched tight as Frank angrily stared at him.

Frank suddenly changed his expression to a smile. 'Only thing is, no one ever wins the lottery do they Dave? It's a fix. You know that, I know that, I think deep down the proles know that.'

Dave chose his words carefully. 'If Big Brother says there is a winner then it must be true.' Dave put a hand to the drink but did not pick it up.'

'Good, now your getting it. See it's all about knowing one's place in the order of things. You as a party member, the proles as the general population. The order of things.' Frank let an uncomfortable silence hang in the air and then continued.

'This Pauline case, it's been escalated. You and Mike are off the investigation. None other than Ministry of Truth Director and inner party member Ann Hampton has gotten me word she is dealing with the matter personally.'

'Right, I will inform Mike when we return to the Ministry.' Dave let slip a breath of relief. These sorts of huge changes of direction happened frequently in the Thought Police, it was wise to accept without thought or question.

'Hold on Dave. You and Mike are to continue with your other business until this evening. I want you to then deliver Mike to me unarmed, he's to be reassigned. You understand.' Frank looked over his glasses, his bloodshot eyes could be seen for the first time. They both understood that reassignment meant, no one would ever see Mike again.

'Absolutely Frank, consider it done.' Dave forced a smile.

'Good Dave. Big Brother has some extensive plans this year for Hate Week. The execution of three hundred dissidents by burning. I can get you tickets to sit with me in he front row if you like, we'll be alongside inner party members.'

'Really. That would be excellent, thanks Frank.' Dave did his best to cover his revulsion at the thought.

'No bother Dave, no bother.' Frank smiled a mouth of yellow teeth, lit a cigar