Chapter 26

Today is the worst day of the year. The day I've been dreading every single year since I was seven. Father's day.

My father was the kindest man I knew. Very selfless. He died from a car crash.

My hair danced in the wind as I stared at the grave. Joe Jennings was written in bold letters. I bent down and placed a bundle of roses next to the grave and my eyes watered.

"Daddy," I whispered, "Daddy, I know you can hear me. I just wanted to tell you how much I love you. I love you so much that I wish the car hit me and not you. You were the greatest daddy in the world. I wish all boys could be like you." Tears flooded from my eyes. I told him everything that was going on. Everything about Cameron, Mom, Josh, and Tracy. Plus Zoe, and I reassured him I'd see him soon. By the time I was done, I wasn't even crying anymore. I felt like I should be, but he's in a better place. I need to stay strong for my daddy. I scanned the other graves.

Sad people hovered over graves with flowers and tears. Quite depressing.

A familiar face caught my eye. Cameron was hovered a grave with the name James Dallas written in cursive letters. He was on his knees, staring blankly at the grave with puffy, tear stained cheeks and watery eyes. I guess everybody needs a friend once in a while.

I scurried over to his grave. "Hey, Cameron?" I whispered. I never would of thought Cameron didn't have a dad. He tensed up to make it look as if he wasn't crying, "Yeah?" his voice was barely audible and I was shocked I could hear it.

"Cameron, its okay to cry. Everyone cries when they're here. It's normal."

His back arched and he buried his head into his hands. He stayed silent.

"Cam, do you want to talk about it?" I rubbed his back. Honestly, I had no idea what to do.

"No. Not right now," he sighed, wiping his eyes with the sleeve of his hoodie and placing a jumble of assorted flowers beside the grave.

"I'll leave you alone to pay your respects," I turned on my heels, but someone grabbed my arm.

"No. Stay," he whispered.

And I did. The thought of leaving never crossed my mind.

Forgive and forget, because there's always a moment where someone needs a friend.

He sniffed as tiny droplets or water escaped his eyes. His crying was enough to give me a lump in the back of my throat, but I fought it away. I didn't care about my feelings at the moment, I just needed Cameron to be okay.

"He was the best dad a kid could ask for. He would always play baseball in our backyard, even though we broke the window and he blamed it on the neighbors." he stifled a weak laugh as he stared at the ground. "I'd come here every day and tell him about everything. Magcon, the boys, and especially you. I'd always tell him how pretty you were and how much you meant to me. It sounds stupid, but I know he listens. He was a good man."

Heat rose to my cheeks. I smiled at him, "No. That's not stupid at all. I do it, too. My dad's buried over there," I pointed to a tall grave, "Ten years ago. I'm still not over it."

He stared at me sympathetically. "Two days after we moved. Of course I was a bit too depressed to tell anyone," he ran his fingers through the grass, "I didn't think Fathers Day would be so sad."

I inched closer to him, grabbing his hand. "Its okay. They're in a better place. They're probably watching down at us. They don't want to be sad, and we'll see them again. I promise."

Tears flooded both of our eyes.

"One more thing," I smiled weakly.

"What?" he replied in a scratchy voice.

"I forgive you," I stood up onto my knees and wrapped my arms around his neck, and his hung around my waist. We stood there for what seems like hours, in each others arms, not wanting to let go, and I'd like to keep it that way.