Brendan and Lydia Part 10

A Year Later

Lydia returned home because of a frantic call from her dad. Her mom had some sort of episode and was hospitalized. Her father needed her with him. Not wasting a second, Lydia returned home immediately. As she drove in the neighbor met her and told her that her father was at the hospital. She took off. Lydia arrived and saw that her father was barely holding himself together. She was glad to be his strength. After such a horrible scare, her mother would recover, but not without Lydia having some reservations about leaving them.

The day her mother came home from the hospital, the house was full of neighbors and friends trying to help. Lydia needed a moment. She walked outside. Closing her eyes, Lydia remembered to just breathe. She closed her eyes and took several deep breaths. Her body began to quake as she realized how close she came to losing her mother.

"Hey, are you ok?" A deep familiar voice asked.

Lydia gasped. "Brendan, when did you come home?"

Brendan smiled. "I got here a few hours ago. Mom called and said you were here and I figured, I could at least check in."

Lydia sighed. This was the Brendan she remembered. When he didn't hate her, he could be sweet. "I'm okay. Mom is home now, and dad is back to his old self." She looked away and sighed.

"Lydia, this is me. You don't have to pretend with me." Brendan whispered. "I know you."

Lydia looked at him, as she fought the tears that threatened to spill down her cheeks. "Brendan, I have to be okay. They expect me to be okay. I can't fall apart. I can't be afraid. My dad called me. Out of everyone, he called me home. He only wanted me with him because I was his strength." The tears spilled. "I can't fall apart. I can't be anything but okay."

Brendan moved, He gently cupped her chin and wiped away her tears. Leaning in close, he kissed her gently. As the kiss ended, he knew she'd slap him, but she didn't because she was stunned.

"Brendan," she whispered breathlessly, "Thank you."

Brendan swallowed, "Um, you're welcome. You don't have to be strong all of the time. It's alright to feel. That's why I came home. I want to be here for you."

Lydia sighed s she moved into his arms and held him close. Sitting in their bedroom, watching were Lydia's parents. They shared a smile. For years they prayed these two would find a way to each other. Maybe, just maybe they would get this prayer answered.

Soon, others walked out and Brendan slowly released her. Lydia missed his warmth. She missed his strength.

"Lydia, sweetheart. I'm right across the street.' Mrs. Norm addressed her. "I'll make breakfast and bring it over in the morning. You get some rest girl. I know your mom and dad are glad you came home." She hugged Lydia and then left. Soon others began to leave, and Lydia realized that Brendan moved farther and farther away.

Soon, it was just the two of them. "Hey, go in and get some rest. I'm here until Sunday. We can catch up before I go back." Brendan whispered.

Lydia smiled, "OK, see you tomorrow." Then she turned and went inside. Brendan waited and slowly walked back to his parent's home.

As he entered his parent's home, he thought of Lydia. She was just as beautiful as she was last year in high school. Who was he fooling? Lydia was it for him. He just had to find a way to let her know that.

"Son, how's Helen feeling?" His mom, Sharon, asked, interrupting his thoughts.

"She's better. I asked Lydia and she seemed relieved." Brendan answered.

"I'm stopping by tomorrow. She had so many visitors today that I hated to add more." Sharon explained. Brendan nodded. He already knew. His Mom and Lydia's mom were best friends, and there was no way they would stay away from each other. He smiled. His mom chattered on and as he suspected her favorite topic came up.

"You know if you would stop dragging your feet. You could go on and marry Lydia and give us a few grandbabies. I know Helen would be thrilled."

Brendan smiled. "Mom, what do you want me to do? Kidnap her and force her to marry me. I'm the last guy Lydia is interested in."

"Stop that!" Sharon hissed. Shoving him lightly. "I watched you two. You just need to let her know you are interested."

Brendan chuckled and hugged his mom. "I love you, Mom. Who says you don't already have a grandbaby. I did meet someone when I volunteered at the jail in Wussex.

Sharon frowned. "You'd better not have gotten some poor girl pregnant and left my grandbaby out there." She stated slightly serious.

"No, never, but keep asking, and I'll adopt you one from somewhere." Brendan teased.

Sharon laughed. "Okay, message received. I'll back off." She bid him good night and went inside.

After his mom left, Brendan stared at the stars. Next door, Lydia was getting glass of water as her dad joined her in the kitchen.

"Pumpkin, thank you for coming when I called. She's never been that sick, and even though Chuck and Sharon were next door, I needed you here." Darren explained. He sat at the table and Lydia joined him.

Lydia hugged her dad. "Dad, no problem. You know all you have to do is call."

"I saw you talking with Brendan earlier. How is he?" chuck asked.

Lydia sighed. She had to be careful how she answered. "He is okay. He came because he heard about mom. I thanked him for coming home." She explained.

Darren nodded. He knew their mothers wanted these two kids to be together, and he had to admit, he hoped they would marry too, but he and Darren agreed that they would not interfere.

"Darren," Her mom called and her dad stood to go.

"Night hun." Her dad hugged her. "Go out with your friends tomorrow. You should at least enjoy your visit and see them."

Lydia nodded, as he left the room. She then stood by the window and gazed at the stars.

The next few days were wonderful. She and Brendan spent time together much their parents delight. However, both insisted that they were just friends, noting more.

Time moved on and Brendan eventually traveled toEurope. Lydia went to study in Honduras.