[32]

Arthur and Merlin had arranged to meet on the borderline of Camelot where they had last seen each other. Arthur half expected Merlin to already be there due to Merlins short journey compared to his long and dangerous one through Cenred's kingdom. He was relieved he hadn't bumped into any of Cenred's men as he was tired and still shaking from the fight on the mountain.

Arthur pulled his horse to a halt and flicked his eyes around his surroundings to see if he could spot his servant. Merlin couldn't be seen anywhere so Arthur pulled the horse over to a tree and slumped down, exhaustion written all over his face (or rather, Merlin's face).

Arthur let his mind wander, his brain rewinding to the day he had found Merlin in the lake. He scared himself with thoughts about what would have happened if they had not found him so his whole body tremered in fear for a second. Merlin was a mysterious person, which sent waves of curiosity of Arthur, he'd never known anyone with so many secrets so well hidden. Especially not a servant of all people.

Despite the uniqueness of Merlin's thin face, bright blue eyes and jet black hair, the way he dressed with the uncoordinated colours showed he was not much different to everyone else. But his bravery and need for adventure and then the way he jumped off the wall and was floating in the lake and the scars on him, they said otherwise. Merlin was not a plane and average servant, Arthur could see that now.

Oh god, the scars. When they'd taken off his clothes because they were soaked in freezing water, they'd discovered the fading scars covering his body. Arthur could understand some burns and cuts on his hand, he helped Gaius with potions all the time, but the giant slashes all over him,  they weren't just from helping Gaius. Arthur wondered how he'd got them and why.

He pulled his top up revealing Merlin's scratched body, his thin hands found their way to a burn mark centred on his chest.

The environment disappeared, Arthur found himself surrounded by grass and rocks which was engulfed in foggy waters. The isle of the Blessed. A woman, he'd seen her before years ago, her black hair was straggly as if it was wet and her red dress was torn and lay limply on her pale skin. She raised her arm an electricity running through her veins to her fingertips. Magic. Flames threw themselves towards Merlin who was strewn across the grass smoke arising from his chest, that must be where the scar came from.

"Pity," The woman said, smirking, she turned away swiftly "together we could have ruled the world,"

The image dissolved and Arthur found himself shaking wildly, clinging onto the trunk of the tree. Questions ran insanely through his mind, he attempted to remember who the woman was but no matter how hard he tried he couldn't remember her name. Why would they have ruled the world together? What was going on? Arthur struggled with his thin top, when it covered his scarred body again he found his way up off the floor, now realising it was getting dark and Merlin still had not returned.