[17]

As Arthur approached Gaius's door, he realised he was very nervous at the thought of seeing Merlin, however he didn't know why and felt ashamed of this creeping anxiety. He felt it crawling up him like a spider, spreading all over him as if it were a horrible disease.

At his touch the door swung open and Arthur could see the untidy wooden room, scattered with piles of books and dirty coloured liquid in little glass bottles. The crooked stairs led up to more books on badly made wooden shelves, one of the books toppled over as Arthur shut the door.

"Merlin," he whispered trembling slightly, the sound of his wobbling voice scaring him the most.

Arthur hovered over the sleeping Merlin, unsure whether to wake him or to let him rest. He decided when the endless silence began to overpower him and reached his hand out to gently shake Merlin. Merlin's eyes snapped open so Arthur could see ocean waves crash gently, trapped inside his iris.

Without warning Arthur was flung dramatically across the room and Merlin tumbled gracelessly onto the wooden floor, causing some of the glass bottles to jump in fright.

Merlin and Arthur were surrounded by translucent jolting images that slowly merged together until Arthur could be recognised. They watched as every scar he had was painted onto his skin, swords slicing through his skin, arrows clinging to the inside of him. Merlin's body burned with pain from Arthur's scars, each one of them sending shivers of pure agony threw him. He gasped for breath as he watched blood drip from the ghost like Arthur.

Gaius tottered in absent mindedly, a look of shock encasing his face at the sight of Merlin and Arthur slung carelessly like objects on the floor.

"Merlin? Are you okay?" Gaius asked, noticing his eyes opening.

"Merlin? But I'm not Merlin!"

"Um..." Gaius wondered if when Merlin fell off the bed he's damaged his head? But it wasn't a large fall? "Merlin maybe you should -"

"Gaius... I'm Arthur,"

He looked down at himself, shuffling back in shock when he saw the dirty blue and brown clothes he was wearing on his skinny figure.

"Oh my god..."