Chapter 20: Separate Paths

Time ticked by as the group found a comfortable spot to wait.  Anytime someone showed up on the road a quick shift from Liat and they all looked different.  His powers would be sorely missed on this trip, but if those powers could buy them time it was better.  Tyn was still playing around with his expensive new toy.  

"Hey Tyn, why are those not standard issue weapons if they can nullify magic?"  It was something that had gnawed on her mind since he had explained them.  Such weapons would make fighting bound that much easier.  

Holding the sword out staring at it for a while he spoke.  "They do have downsides, being made using dragon magic they are incapable of cutting dragons.  Not only that, but here take it and tell me if you feel different."  Flipping the sword around he caught it at the tip, the sharp edge facing upwards.

Yina just now noticed the handle, it was wrapped with red leather, black diamonds peeking through.  Giving him a questioning glance, as well as eyeing Liat who seemed amused she reached out and grabbed it.  It weighed next to nothing, she had no idea if it was due to her new strength or how the blade was made.  It was not like she had held a sword since becoming bound.  

Several minutes passed, and Yina felt no different.  "I feel nothing."  She blurted out feeling dumb as she glared at Tyn.  Was he playing some kind of joke on her just to pass the time, if so he would regret it.  

"Look within."  Liat stated calmly crossing his arms and watching her carefully.  So everyone was in on the little secret but her.

Closing her eyes she did just that, feeling her magic that had started to feel natural within her body.  Gasping at what she felt now, her magic was being pulled into the sword.  When it reached the sword it would dissipate harmlessly.  "So it absorbs a bound's magic as well.  Do they use this for keeping us prisoner?"  She asked her mind already worried that they could use obsidian to block her magic.  

The look on Tyn's face was evident that he had absolutely no idea.  Turning to Liat just as he started to speak.  "Yes, and no.  There are only a few hundred of these blades, the bound who made them are long gone.  Not only that but they only figured out how to make swords out of it."

A long pause passed as he seemed to be choosing his words.  "So, what is the yes then?"  Yina asked as she walked over to Tyn to hand the sword back to him.  She did not like feeling her magic being taken from her.  

With a grim face he answered the question.  "In Sastan they keep a dozen of the blades.  If they need to contain a bound prisoner they will stab the blades through their arms and legs.  Chains are then wrapped around them and secured to the wall.  This will cause massive amounts of magic to be drained at all times leaving them powerless."  

The words hit Yina hard as she stumbled to stay standing.  She knew that her country could be ruthless but this was beyond what she could imagine.  Tyn put a arm around her waist to prevent her from falling, making sure to keep the sword away from her.  "Why, why did they not do that to me?"  She asked, her breathing increasing.  

Liat hated to have told her that, but he was not one to withhold information.  "Most likely because you were new.  The fact that you can use your magic two days after being bound is extraordinary." 

Tyn led her to the stump she had been sitting on and helped her sit.  "Are you okay?"  He asked kneeling in front of her and pulling out a canteen of water.  

Accepting the water she smiled, "I am fine, I think the stress of all of this is finally catching up to me."  

The conversation was disrupted as the strong gust of wind created by a dragon slammed into them.  Above them was Risang and Nyssa coming in for a landing.  The joy that burst forth from Yina could almost be felt by the rest of them.