Makeup Wipes

After about ten or so minutes more, I allow my eyes to flutter open. Harry is doodling on a piece of paper and the kids have been sucked into their phones. I blink a few times before I shift in the chair. The old springs squeak in protest and Harry's green eyes look up at me. He smiles softly--but he doesn't smile enough to make his eyes crinkle. I push the jacket off of me, immediately missing the warmth and scent, and I hand it back to Harry. "Thanks," I say softly.

"You're welcome," he says warmly. I glance at the clock above the door and realize that it is five o' clock. Quitting time, as they say. I stand up from my chair--slightly off balance, and walk towards the door. Harry catches my wrist and I turn and look back at him, "Where are you going?"

"I am just going to check in with Shawn."

"Oh," he mumbles, "I thought you were trying to ditch me with thing one and thing two."

"Harry," I scold, and his grin widens. He places a small kiss on the inside of my wrist which causes shivers to run up my arm before he releases it. I walk into the front room and find Shawn hunched over the books on the counter.

"Hey Blair!" He greets without looking up.

"Hey boss," I return. I lean against the counter and look over his shoulder. "So...it is five o' clock."

Shawn checks his watch, "So it is."

"Yes," I mumble. "So...can I go?"

"Blair, your shift's over! You're free to go, kid." Shawn laughs.

"Oh, I just figured I would ask--"

"Kid, get going! Go canoodle with your boy or something," he chuckles waving me off.

I groan. "Thank you!" I shout as I head back into the back room. Harry is standing watching the kids with his hands in his pockets. He looks relieved when I appear in the doorway. He gathers my things into his arms and approaches me. We say our goodbyes to the kids and to Shawn before heading out into the evening. He holds my things in one arm and stares down at me as we stand on the sidewalk.

"Thank you for coming, Harry." I tell him. "I know you were at work.

Harry shrugs. "It's fine."

"It means a lot," I take a breath. "To the kids."

Harry throws his head back in laughter. "Oh please! I know you don't mind my company."

I smile ever so slightly. "I plead the fifth."

"I think you had a pretty good day," he sighs.

"Meaning?"

"You literally got paid to sleep," he chuckles. "And you got to spend time with me."

"Whatever, dork."

He sets my stuff on the hood of my car and hugs me tight. "I know we are done talking about it, but can you please promise to never scare me like that again?"

I nod into his chest. "I promise." He holds me tight in silence for a while. Slightly swaying from side to side. "I am sorry for pushing you away."

"Thank you," he whispers. "Don't ever feel like you have to do that."

"I just don't want to trouble you with my problems." I tell him. He takes my face between his hands and looks into my eyes.

"Hell, trouble me with them, I don't care," Harry declares. "I want all of your problems, all of your thoughts, everything and anything that passes between your ears, I want to know."

He kisses me there, on the sidewalk, in the yellow light of the shops. Harry's fingers trail down my arms and intertwined with mine. He pulls away from me and rests his forehead against mine.