This is One Weird Cult

AN: This story takes places after Lodestar before Nightfall, and after The Last Olympian before The Lost Hero.

SPOILERS FOR LODESTAR AND THE LAST OLYMPIAN

I am not Rick Riordan or Shannon Messenger. Enough said.

As soon as they came out of the weird shadow dimension, Sophie barely glimpsed their surroundings before gathering all of her anger and frustration from the past few days and holding it in the center of her mind, her vision turning red.

She was so mad at Brant.

She shoved the red haze at the couple sitting in front of her on the giant...dog? They fell off , twitching, and Sophie sprinted towards the forest she saw in front of her. Once in the solitude of the trees, maybe she could use her home crystal to leap back to Havenfield. She felt in her pockets. Oh no. Where was her home crystal? The only crystal in her pockets was Alden's pathfinder, and that leaped to New York!

She was about to change course toward the large blue house when a something large tackled her from behind. Sophie fell with an 'oof,' and struggled to throw off the person on her back. She reached for memories of hate, her vision tinted black, and shoved them out of her mind at her assailant. The grip on her torso slackened, and Sophie sprinted, channeling to her legs to take bigger steps. She knew she was too weak to inflict again.

Suddenly, a conch horn was sounded. She looked over her shoulder, and she saw a boy of about 15 helped up by Annabeth, while the guy with the dog and messy black hair raced after her.

Sophie pushed more force into her legs and almost stumbled from the sudden drain of energy. She wouldn't be able to do that again. Suddenly, out of the lake rose a ginormous wave. It crashed down on her and carried her out to the lake, keeping her in the middle with currents circling around her legs.

The dark-haired boy with the dog collapsed, and Annabeth caught him. Maybe he was a Hydrokinetic? Sophie glared at them, trying to get out of the water. She dove underneath, and started to hold her breath. She spent five minutes fighting against the current, which seemed to be working against her, and finally gained some ground. Ten minutes later, she surfaced at the shore, gasping for air. The boy and the girl were still standing there, Annabeth holding a stopwatch.

"So." She sounded impressed. "Are you a daughter of Posi-" Sophie sprang out of the water, determined to get the boy so he couldn't try any more of his Hydrokinetic tricks.

She was drained, so unable to channel, but she managed to blink, as she once did unintentionally at Everglen while they were playing Base Quest. She smiled grimly as the teenagers gasped and faltered, startled. She dove for his legs, as she learned from Blur during self-defense training with the Collective.

He fell on top of her with a grunt, too surprised to retaliate. Sophie pushed him off and kept running, determined to get the the large house on the top of the hill. Maybe if she jumped from the roof she would have enough room to teleport back to the Lost Cities.

Sophie channeled the last dregs of her energy into her legs, and she was through the door, running past a startled man in a wheelchair. She hurtled up the stairs to the third story, taking the steps four at a time.

Spotting an open door, she burst through it, ending up in a bright, airy room with bookshelves and storage racks lining the walls. She didnt pay much attention to the contents, but was that a box full of rusty knives labeled 'Mortals?'  Sophie shook her head and looked around to find an open window. Spotting one, she climbed through it, crouching precariously at the edge of the windowsill.

She jumped, and opened the void with a crack.

Published November 17, 2017

Edited June 7, 2020