Chapter 8: If My Heart Had Wings

Song: Stone by Alessia Cara

Zachariah had made himself comfortable outside of my bedroom door while I took care of everything that I needed to in the bathroom. I had long since dropped the account issue on the fact that the only reason why it pissed me off was because of the fact that I kept finding out new things from different people and it was shaking my life up even more. I needed some stability and I realized that in all this chaos Zachariah was becoming a stone. I walked over to the door unlocked it and opened it. The funny expression on his face when he fell backwards into the room was priceless. "Hi there." I said keeping my laughter from escaping. He shot back up and I stepped aside and he walked past me into the room. After placing his jacket over the back of my desk chair he sat down. I made myself comfortable in my bubble chair.

"So this has been a crazy weekend." he stated and I snorted with laughter.

"You don't say." we sat silently staring at each for the next minute.

"I know that a lot of things have occupied your brain today but today is the anniversary of your sister's death, is it not?" I nodded realizing that I hadn't thought much about today.

"Yeah, at least I wasn't moping around today." my attempt at a joke was rewarded with a small smile.

"No you haven't. Instead you were a spitfire ready to burn anyone who dared angered you." I gave him a cheeky smile which he chuckled at.

"It's just how I am and if my sister was here she would be playing 100 questions with you trying to see if you were good enough for me." the image of her sitting right in front of him with a straight face blasting him with question after question had a laugh slip out.

"Tell me about her." the simple request from him had me drifting off into memories of us.

"Anna was...something else. She had a way of finding the bright side for everything no matter how dark the situation was. Even when Shaun disappeared she managed to get my mother and myself to crack a smile. We would get into so much trouble and all she had to do was bat her lashes and we would just get a smack on the wrist as most. We were known to be dangerous when we were together. Shaun's wallet would take a beating when we went on one of our legendary shopping trips. She wore the bright colours. I wore the dark. We were known as night and day. Opposites which completely depend on one another. I miss her so much, Zachariah." my voice broke and he came over and scooped me up into his arms. I felt so much comfort in his arms it was unreal but at the same time I knew that this was where I should be.

"What happened to your sister?" he asked and a fresh wave of tears started falling.

"My sister and I went out on a sisterly date night and we caught a late movie. By the time we walked out it was seriously late and the parking lot was empty. Anna and I were having such a great time that we weren't paying attention to our surroundings. A group of guys jumped us and we fought back like we were trained to do. One of the guys pulled out a knife and aimed it at my back but Anna jumped in front of him and the knife hit her instead. There...was so much blood. By the time the ambulence arrived... she has already died in my arms. Zachariah, I watched as the life faded from her eyes and when they managed to pull her from my arms her body had gone cold. I was covered in her blood and it took me a full year before I got stop that memory from constantly playing in my mind." I stopped talking because my throat closed. We had sunk down to the ground and he held me as I cried once again. Zachariah rubbed circled on my back which comforted and calmed me down.

"How about we change the topic to more happy ones?" he suggested softly and I nodded.

"Okay. Why don't you tell me about yourself." I promted and he laughed.