Chapter 2: From Zero To Hero

Song: Miss You More by Katy Perry

"What do you mean you saw your dad, Ara?" Nicholas ushered me up the the stairs towards his office.

"I mean exactly that. He was at that bar-" I sat down on the couch while Nicholas poured me some whiskey.

"Ara, what were you doing by a bar? You know how dangerous this area can get at the time you get off work." he scolded and handed me the glass.

"It wasn't my first choice, trust me, I had no choice." I downed the liquid in one gulp. It burned on the way down. He took the glass and placed it on the floor next to the couch.

"What happened?" he asked as he sat down. So I explained exactly what happened. He listened intently. When I got to the part of seeing my dad and him calling me by name he got serious.

"Okay. Focusing more on the last part with the sighting. How are you feeling about it?"

I shook my head. "I don't know how I'm supposed to feel, Nicholas. Mom told me my dad died and then we moved. I got over the fact that he was gone despite just having turned 18. Back then I was devastated but I knew I had to look out for my mom so I got over it quickly but not quick enough because next time I looked you were in the picture picking up where he left off. It frustrated me to no end that you were doing my job. Then when we moved here and despite my stubbornness and wanting to play to provider you became my father, Nicholas. So, as far as I'm concerned my dad sitting right next to me." I looked him right in the eyes when I said it.

He wasn't expecting me to call him dad. No one ever did. I had done everything in my power to keep Nicholas as far from me as possible. That actually lasted for a year. A year of trying to dismiss every gift he ever gave and shot down every opportunity to bond. By the time the second year rolled around Nicholas had given up but I watched him and what he did to see if I could see and piece together who he actually was. I was looking for a reason for it to be just my mom and myself again. But I never found one. Turned out Nicholas was a genuine caring friend of my mother and who'd give anything to protect her and keep her happy. I still kept up a cold appearance but on the inside I'd come to love him as a father. Only now was I admitting it that I would call him dad.

"You've been giving me the cold shoulder ever since you moved here and now you're calling me dad. Was it all an act?" he asked. I could see that this meant a lot to him. I shook my head.

"Defense mechanism. I try not to get close to people in case something happens and I lose them too." my voice broke at the end and Nicholas pulled me into a hug that made me feel like a child all over again. He rubbed his hand soothingly up and down my back. My head started drooping and I stifled a yawn.

"Come on. Let's get you to bed." I nodded but didn't move so he picked me up bridal style and carried me to my room. For a man in his early forties he was still strong and agile. Once we got to my room he told me to grab what I needed and head to the bathroom.

"I didn't know you could fight." he commented as he waited for me to do my thing in my bathroom.

"I was basically a military student since I could walk. I was taught many things. It's also why I'm so guarded. You may need to be able to work in a team but eventually everybody walks away as an individual." I finished brushing my hair and walked out the bathroom. My bed covers were neatly pulled back and Nicholas smiled sheepishly.

"I think that daddy stuff is going to your head." I laughed as I slid in. He chuckled as he tucked me in and kissed my head. It was a nice feeling being looked after. I could get use to this.

"Maybe but I've never had a daughter before you came along. It's why I spent so much effort that first year trying to get your approval." I felt slightly guilty at that.

"Why did you never marry? Was it us?" Nicholas sat down next to me and took my hand. It was warm and firm.

"Don't ever think that my being single has anything to do with you, okay?" I nodded.

"Good. Now let me tell you a story." I laughed.

"You're going to milk this for all it's worth, aren't you?"

"Yup." he popped the 'p' and we laughed. "Now shush. I wanna tell you a story." I snuggled deeper into my blankets and got comfortable.

"Okay. Now this isn't you're normal fairy tale. So, bear with me. Once upon a time. Long, long ago there was a group of people who worshiped the moon goddess. And in return for their praise and their loyalty she granted them a special gift. The ability to transform into the mighty wolf. Of course everything had to be balanced so she warned them there would be a good side and an evil side. The evil side would be people who wanted to cause destruction and chaos. And the good would always be there to knock them on their asses."

"Nicholas..." I chuckled and he grinned after he shushed me again.

"Everyone was happy until the males, who became more aggressive and possessive than normal, would kill each other over the females and to lead. So the moon goddess decided she would create the pack hierarchy and each male would have a mate that he would love for all eternity. But there was always the chance of the mate passing away and the goddess was so saddened that she had mercy on them and created second chance mates so that they wouldn't have to suffer. However, wolves were never lucky enough to find those second chance mates and decided to take their lives than be without their loved one. Over time things started to change and the packs had to adapt to the world. The goddess warned them that those people that do not have their gifts would fear them and hunt them down and sadly it took some of them being hunted before they listened. The wolves always searched for land and in their journeys they met other creatures that the goddess had created. Some wolves found those creatures so beautiful that the goddess allowed mates to be of all species. Were there wars? Yes, there were but the good was always triumphant because they were always united. The End."

"That was a nice story." I yawned. Nicholas got up and walked to the door.

"There's truth in stories. Remember that Arabella." I nodded and closed my eyes.

"Okay. Night daddy." and I was out.