Chapter 17: Fake Laugh, Hiding Real Pain

Song: Homesick by Dua Lipa

Once again, this whole process started. The pampering in preparation of the wedding. The whole nine yards.

It would be cliché if I said this was Déjà vu. Only this time I wasn't exactly scared of the person I was going to marry. Darius was a truly kind-hearted soul who protected me the best he could while we were still in the cells. And would continue to do so while we tried to navigate this vast ocean of the unknown.

While we were in the cells we came up with a plan. We knew there was no way that there would be any interruptions of this ceremony. No matter which way we looked at it. Also, Lucien was very explicit in his explanation of how careful he was being with this new wedding. So, the plan was to go through with the ceremony and find a way to break it off after. This whole plan hinges on our ability to act.

Darius was reinstated as the next alpha to be and announced that he would marry me. By the end of it, the pack was happy saying that their new Luna is perfect. How she puts the needs of the pack before her own. Blah, blah, blah.

I was shitting myself but held firm because I knew just exactly the outcome would be if we staged anything else.

And that brings us to this exact moment.

I was standing at an entryway which led to Darius, standing at the altar. We were in a different location but still surrounded by nature. My guess? We were on another pack's land. The question was, whose?

We decided that if we were going do this, this was the one part we'd take seriously. I placed a lot of input in on the details of the wedding. Even the dress I chose suited the type Darius' preferences, despite how shocked I was when he described it.

I donned a beautiful off-shoulder tulle ball gown wedding dress with beaded flowers rimming the hem and up the skirt of the dress in an array of pinks, whites, and purples. The waistline had subtle intricate beading that lightly dusted over the rest of the bodice. The shoulder straps were flowers as well, creating an overall perfect look of princess bride and nature. I finished off the look with a veil which sat on wavy curls that hung down my back and very natural makeup.

The music began.

I'm so sorry, Zach. This is the only way for now to keep everyone safe and to find out how to end all of this. Forgive me.

Then came my cue. I began walking.

"Breathe, Arabelle. You can do this."

I steeled my nerves and kept walking. Eventually, Darius came into view and I couldn't stop the smile that tugged at my face. He cleaned up nicely. I couldn't see much through the veil, but I saw him freeze in his spot and bark out a teary laugh which made a happy hum flitter over the crowd that gathered. The man had no idea what my dress was going to look like and I had refused to tell him when he asked. He now realized that I took his likes into consideration.

I finally reached the platform and took Darius' outstretched hand. Standing face-to-face he lifted my veil and I could hear the intake of his breath. His black eyes shone with approval.

"You look absolutely stunning." He whispered and I blushed.

"Thanks. You clean up nicely yourself." The priest cleared his throat and we began the ceremony which set everything in motion.

* * *

"...you may now kiss your bride."

Everyone held their breath and Darius stepped close and gently brought me to his body.