Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Song: Adore You by Miley Cyrus and Wanted by Hunter Hayes 

~~~

“You aren’t imagining it properly. Pay more attention to detail. You have to think of every aspect of the area.” Zayn commands to me. His hands are wrapped around mine as he watches me, waiting for me to do as I was told.

I squeezed my eyes closed, trying to ignore the burning feeling I got from his hands and focus on imagining the area just fifty yards from us between a couple of trees. I imagined the length of the grass as it tickled my feet as I’d walk in it. I imagine the branches draping down low enough that I could pluck a leaf off a twig. I felt the coolness from the shade hiding us from the sun. I tried to picture the few dandelions that poked out through the grass, trying to act as a flower.

Then I pictured myself standing right in the middle of the small meadow between the trees. Taking a deep breath I released the ball inside me, keeping the image clear in my head.

After a moment I opened my eyes, realizing I was now standing in the middle of the meadow, just like I’d pictured it. I grinned as I began jumping up and down like an annoying little kid. “I did it! Look, I just teleported! And I brought you with me!”

Zayn smiles as he releases my hands, allowing me to continue my little dance. We’d been working on this for two hours now to no avail. No matter how hard I had tried, I couldn’t move from my position. Either I couldn’t imagine the location properly or I was too distracted by Zayn standing right across from me.

A part of me was worried about that. Why was Zayn so distracting to me? He’d begun to take over my every thought. I hardly went ten minutes without thinking about him. When I was home cleaning the house, I found myself wondering what Zayn was doing then. Or I would wonder what he was thinking about, or what he would think of me if he saw me then. I couldn’t seem to get the annoying thoughts out of my head, no matter how hard I tried to distract myself from them. The only medicine to my constant thoughts was Zayn himself. As soon as I was with him my mind finally felt at piece; happy.

“I want to go to China now.” I say the first place that popped into my head. I close my eyes and try to imagine a picture I’d seen of China.

I feel Zayn’s hands wrap around my arm, pulling me forward, and of course distracting my thoughts. “Not yet. Teleporting could be dangerous if you don’t know how to do it just yet. For now we teleport to places we can clearly see. Then we’ll go farther and farther. For now, take us back to the road right over there.”

I sigh, glaring over at the black pavement of the road, trying to picture it in my mind. “Okay, but then could we go somewhere cool? This is fun and all, but…” I shrug, biting my lip. I’d finally accomplished what I’d been determined to do, and now I wanted to give up the task and do something else.

I look up as Zayn rolls his eyes, “Of course, whatever you want.” He pointed to the road, “But first, get us over there.”

I close my eyes and picture the black pavement with the yellow dotted lines in the middle. I saw the large pothole at the edge of the road, filled with small rocks from when it chipped. The side of the road is filled with grey rocks and grass overlapping. I picture myself standing at the side of the road, and the second I release the ball at my core I feel my body move. When I open my eyes I’m standing on the side of the road, Zayn standing in front of me with a grin on his face.

I smile, “That’s crazy.”

“You’ll only get better. After some practice, you won’t have to focus on it as much. As soon as you think of where you want to go, it becomes instant.” He tells me, pulling me closer.