Weekend at Dean's pt.2

After the sun came up and it's blinding beams of light peered in through the curtains of Dean's bedroom, Castiel stirred awake. He was oblivious to the actual brightness until he tried opening his eyes. A silent groan left his mouth and he turned away from the window—now facing Dean. The freckled boy was asleep beside him, sprawled out on the bed with a single arm still draped around him. His disheveled, golden hairs tickled Castiel's hand as he reached up to caress his cheek.

He was completely out. By the looks of it, this weeks exhaustion had absolutely crushed him. Dean worked himself too hard all the time, and Castiel wasn't the only one who noticed. In fact, the constant falling asleep at work and utter frustration was becoming such a nightmare that Jody gave him the weekend off. She saw how work was affecting him and even if she tried to lecture him on laying off working two jobs, he'd refuse. It was always "Don't want to end up a beggar for money like John" or "what if Sammy needs money for school again?"

Neither of them could argue with him, not when his excuses were tied to his family. Dean was very sensitive about that. The only person who didn't bother scolding him for overworking was Bobby, the man knew—after years of raising him—not to interfere in situations like that.

Regardless of how many times Dean denied having the weekend off, Jody made her decision clear and promised she wouldn't let him into the station if he showed up. It pissed him off, but his mood at least softened when he realized Castiel could spend more time with him.

Anyways, Castiel was glad to see his favorite boy finally get some well deserved sleep.

He ran the pad of his thumb across his freckles then traced the faded scar John had left him on his forehead. Castiel tried not to ponder all the pain that man had caused Dean, both physically and mentally. Instead he pushed those negative thoughts away and decided it would be a good time to get up and maybe make breakfast. So as all the fatigue that Castiel felt slowly vanished, he got out of bed and gave Dean a warm kiss on the cheek. He discreetly stumbled across to the kitchen, the pitter-patter of his bare feet being the only noise echoing around the apartment until he opened the fridge. His initial idea was to make a big breakfast for Dean, but there was nothing much in their when he looked. Maybe a few eggs, milk, some orange juice, and a half eaten pie. Typical Dean.

Castiel sighed; Seeing as he didn't have many options, he decided a quick trip to the corner store wouldn't hurt.

"Okay, shopping it is." He closed the fridge, got changed, and freshened up as quietly as he could before leaving. All Castiel had was $24, so keeping that in mind, he slipped on his shoes then stepped out into the chilly December weather.

Raising his head, he drew in a deep breath of dewy air and made his way down the stairs of Dean's apartment complex. There were a few neighbors—a couple doors down—drinking their morning coffee who looked at him questioningly, but besides that Castiel got to the store without mishap. In that small shop some middle aged man covered in tattoos welcomed him. He understood the guy was just trying to be kind, but still Castiel awkwardly smiled then hurried his small frame towards an isle—the opposite direction from any social interaction.

He grabbed a package of bacon, thinking of what Dean would and wouldn't like, but in all honesty he wasn't much of a picky eater. "As long as it's not rabbit food." He could hear the same thing Dean constantly told him echoing inside that head of his and he chuckled.

Castiel took a little while longer to gather what he needed then scurried to the check out desk in the front. There he mentally groaned. Again, he smiled awkwardly as this tattooed man rounded up his total, "Okay, your total is going to be $24.47."