Chapter 13

He was dreaming. Stiles knew he was dreaming, because he was standing in the Hale house and it and it was completely intact.

The entire area was cluttered, full of love and whimsy and Stiles thought how wonderful it would have been to live there. The homely feeling was calming enough that he didn't panic when a mix of people abruptly joined him in the living room, easing themselves around him as if they'd done this a thousand times before.

He saw the dark hair, the flicker of familiar hazel eyes and oddly recognisable faces. They were watching him, smiles warm with kindness and he felt a twinge in his gut knowing they were offering that unconscious love without agenda. They didn't even know him, but beckoned Stiles closer, the group that could only be Derek’s family, nestled closely on the couch. A small gathering that was as endearing as it was familiar like he a different version of his own family bundled together.

He searched automatically for Derek and his eyebrows knitted together into a frown when he didn't immediately make himself known. Stiles opened his mouth, but didn't speak instead in favour of not disturbing the peculiar calm of this family.

Their eyes if possible, seemed to grow warmer at his approach some flickering a sharp blue. A very werewolfesque greeting. Their welcoming smiles, tugged at something within his heart and he choked back a lump of emotion as it swelled in his chest. Because they didn't know him and here they were welcoming Stiles in as if they'd known him forever.

He’d barely taken two steps until they rose to their feet, gravitating towards him palms outstretched in greeting. He wasn’t afraid, too relaxed to feel any real fear as they surrounded him like a whisper of stirring air.

And then there were hands pressing against his skin, supporting, gentle and quietly offering something that he couldn’t quite understand. They smiled gently, soothingly as they pressed closer to touch him, to embrace him as if he were one of their own.

Stiles ducked his head sheepishly, undeserving of their kindness. They were too trusting. Something twisted in him, a need, a longing for someone in particular to make this moment perfect and he wet his lips, glancing about the room again hopefully.

“Derek,” he managed finally, and they smiled sadly, drifting away from him without a response but their eyes seemed to say enough. He tried calling them back but they didn’t return, drifting into various corners of the room. He sensed something in them that was sobering, solemn with the unexpected distance.

And then a woman emerged from the hallway.

He recognised her instantly, from the photo he'd spent too much time obsessing over. And when it was clear how much she resembled her brother, he wondered how in the hell he had ever confused her for someone else.

Laura.

Her expression was softer than he’d expected a Hale’s to be and she stepped closer, eyes burning into his with an intensity that was unsettling. Stiles felt that she was trying to tell him something, but she didn't speak as she paused before Stiles, eyes considering.

Stiles raised an eyebrow and tilted his neck to gaze back, exposing the mark Derek had left on his throat there. For a moment, Laura seemed startled and then her face softened and she smiled, reaching out slowly to press her hand against his cheek.

Nobody spoke and Stiles struggled to keep still, sensing something significant was happening. Laura's expression abruptly hardened before she turned towards the door.

Her hand still cupped his face as they watched the beginning of flames licking at the bottom of the wood. He swore, jerking back to look in shock. Laura's face was dark, unforgiving, but she didn't back away.