Chapter 11

I punched in numbers in the calculator and frowned at the figures I came up with. It was unsatisfactory. The supermarket had lost some money and that was as a result of negligence on the part of the staff. They had not noted when the canned foods had gotten to and passed their expiry dates, thus we couldn't sell them at a reduced price rate and had to throw them all out. Although I was angry with the staff, I knew it was also my fault as I had relaxed in my supervision of the supermarket.

Another thing that made me edgy was that my husband had returned a week before and my life had to go on hold again. Yes, he had slept with me, I had the bruises on my back to prove it, and this made me hate him even more. I couldn't stand him.

I hissed as I punched in other numbers and subtracted the previously calculated number from it. The loss was immense. I sighed and flung the calculator to a corner and made to stand when I heard my name. I turned to see Dikachi.

My heart skipped and all of a sudden, my emotional problems pushed back to the surface. I blinked back the tears that threatened to fall and resisted the urge to run into his arms. "Hello Dikachi."

He came closer. "I almost didn't recognize you, I love your hair."

I touched it, he had noticed. "Thank you."

"What are you doing in here?"

Confession time, I thought. "I - I am the owner of the supermarket."

"Oh!" He looked quite shocked but quickly masked it. "So you had lied when you said you were a customer."

I nodded.

He shrugged. "That is okay. How is your husband?"

I looked away. "He is fine."

"Okay," he said with a nod. "I should go."

I wanted to hold him back and cry about how much I loved him but did nothing as he turned to leave. On impulse I asked quickly. "Dikachi, if I get a divorce from my husband, would we still have a chance?"

He turned back with a frown. "Do you want to leave him?"

I nodded. "Yes. I am not happy with him and can't take it anymore."

A soft smile crossed his face. "I-I really wish it can be done."

"It can." I assured him.

He shrugged. "Till it is done then."

I smiled and watched him walk away. I had another chance.

****************************

I wanted to kill my husband.

I had gone through some lawyers and they assured me that it would be near impossible to divorce my husband as he was a powerful man and might not let go easily, plus it could cost lots of money.

I tried picking fights with him but this too didn't work as he had termed it as being petty and had dismissed my attitude.

I had reached the decision of killing him the night before, during one of his bdśm sessions and out of hate, I had promised myself to do it sooner. I couldn't take it anymore.

I looked at the rat poison I had bought from the roadside and wondered if I did the right thing. I pushed the fear away from my head and thought about Dikachi. I did it for him, for us, for my happiness.

I smiled and pushed the bottle in my purse and threw it into my handbag.

I was ready.

I picked Friday night as the night to execute my plans because I knew that Seun hardly worked on Saturdays, so no one in the office would miss him. It was also the perfect night to send the maids home, I had told them to go enjoy their weekend as I wanted some alone time with my husband.