Chapter 2

What followed after the visit was like a movie. The engagement, introduction, wedding, all these happened so fast and it felt like it was someone else's life while I was just a spectator.

The wedding was quite a big one, those one-in-town weddings you would see only on TV. There were food in abundance, gifts, music, I was the envy of every girl - my friends inclusive.

Everyone was happy for me, neighbors, family members, people I never even knew they existed showed up for the wedding. Obinna came too but he avoided me all through and rarely spoke to my mum. The idïot.

The wedding ended all too soon and next thing I knew, I was at the back seat of this very big and beautiful car with my husband, waving goodbyes to everyone.

As the car sped off and left my village, I sat back and turned to my husband. He was on the phone.

He had been a complete gentleman since the day we met and had done nothing but pamper and treat me like a princess. He had never brought up the issue of sex as it seemed he wanted to wait till after the wedding.

He looked up and caught me staring and I looked away quickly to face the window. I was sure he smiled.

The wedding was done.

What next?

********************************

I was awoken by a gentle tap on my shoulder. I opened my eyes to see an elderly woman bending above me with a smile. I sat up with a frown and looked around. Where were we? I turned to look at my husband only to realize he was gone. I panicked.

"Ma, Oga is inside already." The woman explained as if she'd read my mind. "He said I should come take you inside."

I sighed. We were home.

I nodded and followed her out of the car to meet two younger girls that smiled at me. "Good evening." I said to them.

"Good evening ma," they chorused.

Though I was too tired to note the beauty of the house I stood before, the brightness of the compound awed me. It looked like a palace.

The older woman led the way in the house, up a stairway and then a corridor. Then I was fully awake and took in the mastery of which the house was constructed and furnished. It was a masterpiece, nothing I had ever seen before, even the king's palace back at the village could not compare to it. There were beautiful paintings on the walls, beautiful matching curtains at each window, the tiled floor gleamed like jewels....It was like heaven.

The woman led me to a door and opened it. "Your room ma."

Completely dazed, I looked into the room. It was far bigger than the house back at the village and far too divine. I walked slowly into the room and looked around. I was speechless.

"The toilet is over there," the woman continued, "And that's the closet should you want to change after freshening up-"

"Where is my husband?" I asked.

"He said that he would meet you later on." She replied simply.

"Is he downstairs?"

"Yes ma."

I nodded. "Thank you."

"Bisi will bring you dinner in 30 minutes," the woman said and turned to point at one of the girls I had met downstairs. I didn't know they had followed us. "And Damilola will clean up when you are done. Would there be anything else you would be needing?"

Would there? I shook my head and the woman smiled.

"You are welcome once again."

"Thank you."