Where There's a Will

He'd left Liza's letter inside an illustrated copy of Huckleberry Finn. The thin cloth-coveredbook was old and worn as if he'd read it many times. She traced the tired edgesof it, wondering how long he'd had it. There was a note taped to the top: For TD. ALL OTHERS, DO NOT TOUCH OR SUFFERTHE CONSEQUENCESCalvin Wynne. Shenoticed a piece of paper sticking out behind another page of the book andpulled it out. It read, Hi Teddi, I wouldhave come myself, but I didn't want to get you in trouble. Last time was tooclose of a call.—Calvin. She folded the white slip of paper neatly andstuffed it in her dress pocket. She'd come back next week with her reply toLiza.

"It's time to go, Theodora," her grandmother's voice floated through thetrees from the church lawn. "Theodora, where are you?"

She hurried back to the lawn to see her grandmother walking back towardthe chapel steps.

"Grandmother," she said, hurrying to her side. "I'm right here."

"Where did you get off to, young lady?"

"I just wanted some time to myself."

Elizabeth shook her head in disapproval. "You get plenty of that athome. You have social responsibilities when we are in public." As she saidthis, they walked passed a girl named Samantha Chatfield—Brookhurst perfection,blonde, fresh and spirited—with three boys forming a triangle around her.

"Responsibilities like that?"

"It wouldn't hurt you to be more like Samantha, Theodora. In fact, thereis something I'd like to discuss with you at home. I wasn't certain I'd madethe right decision, but now I see that I have."

That afternoon, Teddi sat across from her grandparents at theircustomarily large Sunday lunch. Gertrude had cleared away the soup bowls andnow filled their plates with roast chicken, potatoes, honey glazed carrots, andcreamy asparagus. Teddi wasn't hungry.

"Mrs. Chatfield? Why can't I just stay with the Hollidays? It's only forthe night."

"Impossible."

"Why impossible?"

"It would be inappropriate. Ben is a young man. You are a young lady. Besides,I think Samantha Chatfield will be an excellent companion for you."

Teddi turned to her grandfather with pleading eyes. Her grandparents announcedthey would be going to the city next Saturday for a wedding. She was surprisedher grandmother did not want her to come, but Elizabeth Donovan had definitiveideas about what should and should not be done. Staying with Mrs. Chatfield andthat stuck-up daughter of hers was the last thing Teddi wanted to do. Hergrandfather attempted to mollify her with a hopeful smile. "It will just be forthe day, buttercup. We'll be back soon enough."

Teddi frowned. Couldn't he be more helpful? He knew what loathsomecreatures the Chatfields were to Teddi.

"It will be better than going with us, dear. Believe me." Hergrandfather grumbled then took a sip of iced tea. It was maddening. He wasbeing forced to go somewhere he didn't want to out of some sort of silly ruleof obligation. Why did people have to do such things? He should be able to stayhome if he wanted to. Teddi presented no further argument in regards to theChatfields, knowing the subject was closed. She really did not feel up to the intervalof headaches that usually followed a verbal tennis match with her grandmother.Suddenly, an idea came to her. If she had to stay with that tragic woman andher daughter, why not make the most of it? She'd be free from her grandmother'seagle eye. Free to see Calvin maybe. She wasn't sure if her inclination to seeCalvin had to do with an itch to be defiant or if it was something more. Sheneeded this temporary freedom to find out. Swallowing every ounce of anxiousdoubt, Teddi made up her mind. She would make it happen.