Nine ➸ Dive

Mulai dari awal

~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey? Oliver?" Kithara put a hand on his forearm; being only 5'3 she wasn't tall enough to reach his shoulder comfortably.

"Ah, yeah sorry. What?" He shook his head quickly.

"You zoned out."

"Yeah I—"

"Okay, you three ready?" Logan asked loudly, addressing Kithara, Jake, and Aurora, whom the group decided were the strongest swimmers. Paradox had wanted to go, but the salt water against the gash around her wrist was too much.

Aurora, with a scarf of Audrey's —that took almost an hour of convincing to get before Aurora simply walked up and ripped it from her hand— tied around herself didn't bother to reply to Logan's question. Instead, she waded out into the water until it was against her waist, then she dove. Jake and Kithara followed only seconds later, as the remaining nine stood and watched.

Foster spoke up for the first time in a while. "I think we could use what we've found here to start building a real camp, out of the elements."

"What's wrong with our circle on the beach?" Audrey asked, a judging tone in her voice. "It seems pretty safe to me. The trunks to shelter us and having everyone close just in case."

"Yes but," Mirage cut in. "When it rains or storms, which is probably a common thing at certain times of year here, the trunks aren't doing much but getting soaked with us."

"Thank you," Foster nodded. "I suggest we make something over where the treeline and the bottom of the cliff meet. Solid on one side will be safer if there's anything on this godforsaken island..."

"Whoa hold up, like what?" Logan, from his place on a large piece of driftwood asked, leaning forward. "We don't even know where we are, there could be like bears here or some crap."

"No bears," Paradox replied with her back to them all, still watching the gentle waves for the three scavengers. She had to raise her voice slightly for them to hear her properly. There was a slight breeze that made little ripples in the water that almost reached her feet and swept her hair to the side. "It's tropical."

"Ah, leopards?"

"Maybe."

"Maybe?" Audrey screeched. "Why aren't we working on getting off this place rather than just accepting and making a stupid campsite like tourists!"

"We can't work on getting home if we're dead, princess," Warren said before walking over to Paradox. Audrey protested as he walked away, but he ignored her.

"Hey, Ghost," he whispered as he approached, setting a hand on the small of her back.

"Hey, playboy," she replied with a small smirk.

"Ouch!" He laughed. "Is that what you think I was?"

"That's what I know you were." Paradox laughed lightly with him, still watching the water. "what you are."

"Yeah well, this place has changed me." He sighed dramatically. "I'm a new man."

"Shut up, a few hours on an island isn't going to make you a saint."

He smiled again, moving his arm to rest across her shoulders. She looked at him cautiously and stood stiffer than before but didn't say anything about it.

"I guess you're right."

"Obviously."

"Are you okay?" Warren turned slightly to look at her.

"What do you mean, of course I am." Paradox shook her head like her body was disagreeing with her mind.

"I meant your arm. Don't worry, I know you're a badass."

"Ah." She snorted. "That."

"Yes, that. Are you okay?" He asked again, sounding more serious than before.

Finally she stopped watching the waves to look at him. "I'm okay."

Hey guys!! How's it going? I just wanted to say THANK YOU SO MUCH to everyone who reads, votes, comments, and loves this story

I just wanted to say THANK YOU SO MUCH to everyone who reads, votes, comments, and loves this story. It's because of you guys and the motivation you give me to write that WE GOT FEATURED!!! That's right, Why We Sank is currently a featured novel. Let's make sure it stays that way! ♥️