Three ➸ Mirage

Dedicated to my irl friends Sarah and Mayuki, who are two of the funniest, kindest, and most supportive people I've ever met. You guys inspire me to become a better person, always listen to me when I need to rant, give me the best advice, and never give up on me no matter how frustrating I can be. Friends for life ~

Jake snuck out of the room, taking one last glance at his inmates

Jake snuck out of the room, taking one last glance at his inmates. They are asleep. Every one of them. I am alone. Once he was convinced they were really asleep and the hallway was empty, he began to walk. Sleep deprivation was affecting him badly, sometimes even making him forget things. Or maybe that wasn't the lack of sleep... No, I'm fine. Everything is fine. Jake found peace in the grungy, horror movie-esque hallway. He didn't know how long that peace would last, so he treasured it. He was almost calm enough to sleep.

Almost.

It was clear that some people were still awake, but not even a fraction of the total amount of people who were on the ship. Any voices Jake heard were like distant mumbles. That is until he reached the end of the hall and was about to turn the corner.

"Do you remember the coordinates to tell the captain?" A man's voice asked.

Jake could feel his paranoia rising, but he held his ground and stayed listening.

"Yeah, yeah, I got it." Another voice answered.

"Are you sure? You can't screw this up, you know? We'd be in so much trouble."

Jake's heartbeat increased. He started breathing shallower in order to relax himself. They're not here for me.

"I got it!" The second voice answered defensively. "I even have it written down."

Jake moved so he would be able to see what was happening. Two men stood there, one holding up a paper and the other glaring.

"Give me that!" The first man said angrily, snatching the paper away. He looked it over and then gave it back. "Alright, you got it."

"I told you I did." The second man tried to stick the paper back in his pocket, but it slipped as he removed his hand. Neither of the men noticed.

Eventually they walked away, and Jake went to pick up the paper. He stared at the coordinates for a moment before stuffing the paper in his pocket. He didn't know what it meant, but he wasn't going to leave it there for anyone else to find.

Just in case.