Chapter Twenty-Six: Fitz

Sophie and I watch as the door closes behind the male and female Altruistics. Luckily, Benen and Laurel had promised us that they wouldn't come after us when we go to see Jacob. They had originally asked how we'd ever manage to convince Mr. Wallace, and I just said, "We have to go."

They didn't ask any more questions.

After the door locks itself again, Sophie turns to me. "When are we leaving?" she asks.

I press my lips together, silently. If I could choose what Sophie would be doing, I'd have her stay here, without a worry of her own. And I don't want her to relive the moments of being kidnapped and tortured by... him... "I'll try to look into it," I say after at least a minute of silence. "I honestly have no idea until I talk to Steven and Mr. Wallace."

"When will you talk to them?" Sophie asks, raising an eyebrow. My eyes widen when the female Percipient stares at me silently. I feel like she's reading my mind, but at the same time, I feel like she's trying and failing to read my mind.

"I'll... try to talk to both of them tomorrow," I say vaguely, which I know will come back to me later. Shaking my head, I add, "Now, we should probably try to get some sleep."

"Try?" the female Percipient asks incredulously. She raises an eyebrow. "But-"

"I said to try," I retort, looking down at her. "Besides- they most likely will be asleep already, so we won't be able to get anything from them. Go to sleep, alright?"

"Fine," Sophie agrees reluctantly as I make my way over to the connecting door. "Goodnight, Fitz."

"Goodnight, Sophie," I say before closing the door behind me. Now that I was alone, I sit and my desk and read over the article again. Seeing that I don't need to have any other reason to convince Steven to take us to Jacob, I try to find his thoughts again.

Steven, I transmit after finding the faintest trace of his thoughts. You're still awake for me, correct?

Yes, I am. There's a moment of silence before Steven says, Are you sure you don't want to do this tomorrow? You know, with Sophie?

Although he isn't in front of me, I shake my head. We'll have to deal with Mr. Wallace, and I don't really want to waste more time with that.

I can practically hear Steven sighing. You really want to go, don't you?

I need to, Steven, I transmit.

And why is that?

...I'll be down there in a few minutes.

...

Apparently, it didn't too much to convince the forensic pathologist. All I need to do was show Steven the poster and then have him read the article. He doesn't even look up to say, "We'll be leaving at eight."

"Wait- really?" The words of surprise escape my lips before I can stop myself.

Steven nods. "This is a really good lead to go on," the forensic pathologist explains. "And you're right about the fact that we have to do this now, or we'll never get to do it."

I step back, shocked even more. "Did- did you just-" I pause, shaking my head. "Did you just read my thoughts?!"

The pathologist nods, smirking slightly. "How do you think that I've been keeping track whether you're gone or not?" he asks, his smirk faltering into a serious expression. "After what he did to you and Donovan, I've been keeping track of you, Donovan, and Benen."

I frown. "But what about Sophie, Laurel, and Audrey?" I counter. "They need tracking, too."

"Caroline's keeping track of them," Steven says, pointing to the secondary bedroom. "And besides, you and Sophie are the only two that we need to keep track of the most."