1.Kotobuki Keya

TEN YEARS AGO...

'No!' she said strongly, 'I'm not going to tell you a word!' she added, trying to keep up her stern face though she knew she was going to break down.

'Open up or you're getting rusticated!' the woman with the strict face said sternly, sitting at the edge of her seat, filled with anger.

While they looked at each other, eye to eye, each trying to keep her self-esteem, two people, man and woman, came rushing into the room, looking hesitant and out of breath.

'Keya!' the woman called out, for that was the girl's name, 'What did you do?'

'Yes, please, Mr. and Mrs. Kotobuki, have a seat', the strict-faced woman, who was actually the Principal of the school, 'Ohayo Girls' Higher Secondary School', directed.

Mr. and Mrs. Kotobuki did as they were told, both giving disappointed looks at their daughter, Keya, who looked as normal as she always was.

'So, Mr. Kotobuki, let me first ask you, do you have any idea as to why on earth your dear daughter would do such a thing?' Principal Minamoto, as her name went, asked the man who was sitting agitatedly in his seat. 

'No, Ma'am, No. I don't know why she......I don't know,' the poor man said, not knowing a thing.

'And what about you, Mrs. Kotobuki?' Principal Minamoto asked.

'I.......' she uttered as she broke down, 'I have no idea......at all', that was all she could say, then she looked at her daughter, sitting in a corner, looking at the floor.

'Well, then.....,' Principal Minamoto began, her arms folded, 'we'll have to see...'

The office was filled with nothing but silence and after a minute of deep thinking, the Principal struck her call bell on the table.

At this, an old, thin, weak looking man came rushing up to her table. 'Yes, Ma'am?' he asked.

'Ask Ms. Hirasawa to be ready. I'm sending a girl,' she said, handing him a piece of paper at which the man nodded and went off.

'Keya, I suppose you know Ms. Hirasawa. Go to her room. She'll take care of you,' Minamoto Ma'am said and turned to the devastated looking parents saying, 'would you like some tea?'

The parents declined this offer and inquired who Ms. Hirasawa was.

'Don't worry. All you need to know is she's not a murderer,' she said with a slight laugh, which made no sense to the parents.

While their dull conversation continued, Keya silently moved out of the room, drawing not the slightest of attention but finally, slammed the door of the Principal's office behind her with all her strength, giving the people inside a sudden shock; and smirked as she walked ahead.

--------------------

I walked through what seemed like a long, dark corridor, fitted with doors of the same size and colour. There were no windows though. I wondered why. Finally, a door at the left corner was the one waiting to be opened by me.

I knocked.

A sweet-sounding voice said, 'Come in!'

I opened the door and peeped in. The room was a small one, painted grey. It looked sad. There was a sofa set at the centre and a gentle-looking lady sat on the chair facing the empty sofa. There was no one else in the room.

'You must be Keya, am I right?' she asked, looking at me with very soulful yet bright eyes. I nodded nervously and closed the door, walking slowly towards her.