Chapter 19: Heart Break

Chapter 19

-Salem-

Shooting stars, like lovers, are cruel. They come and light up your world. They fill your soul up with bright and childish joy, making you hope and dream that anything you want can happen. You don't believe in darkness. You don't believe in fear. Because they make everything better, more magical. Then they're gone. And you're left with a empty gaping hole is your chest that you feel will suck you up until you're nothing.

Ian knew. It was over. Everything was gone. All those carefree laughs, stolen kisses, heated looks, tender touches - everything just... gone. I felt like I was falling apart, like I would fly away if the wind blew hard enough. It hurt to breathe, to think, to feel. If you never experienced it, then you'd never understand the shattering and burning agony of heartbreak. You just can't.

I sniffed my tears back and the sound broke the silence of the forest. When I had ran, I ran to the only place where no one could find me, my Ground. I was hidden from everywhere and everything in the protective circle. I sat on the soft rug and pillows in the huge round tent that I had brought here a while ago. The sun was down and I had to create witch light so I wouldn't be in total darkness.

"Stupid." I held my head in my hands, "Stupid, stupid, stupid."

A fresh round of tears broke through the flimsy dam I created.

"So stupid!" I shouted and my powers involuntarily released a blast of black energy.

The black energy silenced the forest immediately, killing the sounds of the animals and insects as they sensed a dark presence among them. My breathing was the only sound. I'm so stupid. Did I really think that I could hide myself from Ian? That he would never find out? So stupid!

I sniffed my nose and tried to wipe it with my sleeve but my septum got in the way. With a growl of frustration, I took it off and tossed it. I only got it to stand out, and now I just wanted to disappear. Stupid piercing, stupid nose, stupid me.

Salem.

I looked up when I heard the deep and feminine voice in my head and saw Sammy, my cat, staring at me with her glowing lime eyes. I frowned at her.

"Where the hell have you been?" I asked and my voice sounded scratchy and stuffy.

You didn't need me, so I went out to play.

She swished her tail gracefully and stepped over the mountains of pillows to reach me.

"Out to play? You've been gone for weeks!" I scuffed.

Doesn't matter now, dear. I sensed your distress and I came back. What's wrong, Salem? Why is your heart breaking?

I shook my head and wiped away a tear just as she moved her black body into my lap. She nudged me with her pink wet nose and I ran my hand over her sleek, soft fur.

Tell me, pet.

I let out a shaky laugh. My pet cat always called me "pet".

"Sammy, everything is just so fucked." I cried.

Sammy didn't respond. I think she knew that anything she said wouldn't do any good. Instead, she curled up in my arms and let me cried.

-Ian-

What the fuck.

What. The. Fuck.

Ian paced his room tirelessly, trying to get a grip on his spinning mind. Salem was glowing, literally glowing! Her eyes were black, fully black. Her hair had been flowing like it was caught up in a wind. The very memory brought back the goosebumps her presence had given him. What the fuck!