Chapter 37

Inferno

     "Doctor?" the pixie asked as Annika began to move between the silk sheets. She had been so still for so many hours that it was strange to see the woman move at all. 

     The doctor walked to her bedside and checked her vitals. "She is fine. It is possibly a bad dream," she answered the unsaid question from Inferno. 

     Whimpers begin to leave past Annika's blood red lips. Her thrashing increased, revealing her pale limbs. The blue of her gaze was paler than before as well. The doctor explained that being in the darkness such as what she was in for so long had partially blinded her. 

     "Annika?" Inferno demanded as she looked out the window which framed a waning sky. Grey clouds were rolling in quicker than what was natural. "What's wrong, Annika?" The pixie stepped forward, wanting to help in any way feasible.

     Words began to form past her mouth. They broke Inferno's heart. 

     "Please, leave me alone!" she cried out, "go away! Get off me! Don't touch me! Please!" The sheets were twisting around her slim body as she moved away from whatever was in her nightmares. Her body was visually tense with apprehension.

     Thunder crashed. Lightening flashed across the swirling clouds. "Annika, it's alright. You're safe," Inferno reassured, trying to hold Annika down in order to make sure she didn't hurt herself. 

     "Let me go!" She shoved against Inferno who went flying at the unexpected strength released from her. The windows exploded from the violent winds. Inferno curled into a ball in order to dodge the slicing shards. Some hit her arms and the side of her leg.

     "Doctor! Get King Soren!" Inferno ordered, coming to an unstable stand. The wind was inconceivably harsh. Her cheeks stung from the slashes of air.

     The doctor nodded and dashed from the room. 

     "Annika, please, you must calm down!" Inferno shouted over the howling. The curtains were whipping all over. Everything was in chaos, all because of the former slave girl. Inferno was as proud as she was terrified. 

     Inferno stumbled when the door crashed open, having been caught off guard by the splinters of wood. 

     Soren was at the other end of the room with the next blink of her eyes. 

     "Annika?" Soren whispered. His voice was hoarse with emotion, which was the most Inferno had seen since his queen was taken. 

     Annika's back bowed off of the mattress, pushing him into action. He crawled onto the mattress and pulled her into a tight embrace. His limbs locked securing about her, creating an impenetrable shelter. "Shh, darling, Annika. I am here. No one will hurt you."

     Inferno watched the exchange with slight envy. Never had she seen such dedicated love. 

     Annika fought back hard enough that it actually appeared that Soren was having trouble holding on, but he was not letting go. Not for a long time. 

     Inferno dropped her arm to her side when Annika began to settle into a melody of low, painful whimpers. It was a sad song never to be forgotten. 

     The curtains fell back into place. Inferno's orange locks were once again draped around her shoulders, though windblown now. 

     The clouds retreated with the chaos, revealing a now dull blue sky. 

     Soren relaxed his hold but did not move from his position. Inferno felt something familiar about their embrace. It made her sad, happy, and she hated herself for it, but she was envious as well.