Chapter 7

Annika

     As Soren opened the door for Annika, she could tell he was tremendously tired. Had Annika just studied his body language, Soren's exhaustion would have been undetectable, but she noticed the way he blinked slowly or breathed in a little too deeply for a little too long. 

     "When's the last time you've slept, Si-ren?" 

     "Why do you call me 'Siren'?" He murmured as he angled the desk chair against the doorknob. Anyone wanting to enter would be bound to make a ruckus. 

    "I apologize if I have insulted you," Annika answered as she rested against the edge of the large bed. The last thing she wanted was to disrespect the only person who seemed to be on her side. 

     "A few days."

     "A few days since you've slept?" Annika gazed at him incredulously as he shut the cheap blue curtains on the window. 

     Soren nodded and lazily ran his fingers through his dampened sleek strands. "Do not worry."

     Annika's brows furrowed when she felt a sudden explosion of dark emotion in response to his sentence. "Don't worry? How can I not when my presence constantly puts you at risk? I'm terrible person for even involving you!" Annika bowed her head as she covered her face with her hands in shame. Maybe she didn't have a right to be free? Not when she endangered the very person who liberated her. 

     Annika heard his approaching steps but kept her position. His warm hands grabbed gently at her wrists, kindling a blissful heat of satisfaction. Soren tugged at them until he held them in her lap. They met gazes as Soren knelt before her. Annika could nearly touch the attraction between them, it was a desire that went deeper than a skin to skin pleasure. Though it would be utterly incorrect to say there was no physical lust either.

     His luscious lips and straight eyebrows were set in a stern line, but the look in his endless eyes of darkness said more than any words could. "You have the right to feel many things, Annika, but guilt is not one of them. Am I clear? I do not do anything I do not want to, not even for a beautiful woman." 

     Annika was shocked into silence, but she managed to nod. She somehow sensed he did not commonly speak so much and was most definitely was not accustomed to saying anything longer than a moderate sentence. Annika felt honestly consoled, a new feeling, but she was grateful once more to Soren. 

     As if realizing the intimate position he was in, he slowly released Annika's hands and rose to his amazing height.

     "I am going to clean up," Soren announced as he went into the washroom. 

     "Okay," Annika responded as she removed her cloak and boots. She rose off the bed to go by the window. Lifting the curtain only slightly, she noted that the sky went from the pouring rain to a light drizzle. Her emotions were so tightly connected to storms, it was almost embarrassing. Good thing no one has connected the dots so far. 

     Moving away, Annika decided she would wash up when she woke. Lifting the thin blanket, Annika quickly snuggled in between the heavenly material. To the common person, the current stay was underwhelming, but being used to haystacks, cold floors, and itchy clothes, Annika felt like royalty. 

************************************

(Remember she was a slave, so her past memories will not be pleasant)

Memory... 

     "Do you know why I picked you?" 

     The scared girl shook her head.