Chapter 8

Annika

     "Get up, we must go, now!"

     Annika instantly woke up to the urgency of Soren's voice. She sat up and got ready in a flurry of movements, not questioning his command. Each step was a stumble, but Annika still managed. 

     She was awake and alert as she pulled her pack over her shoulders in a haste. Standing by Soren, she waited for his next order. Something was surely wrong. 

     He seemed to be expertly strategizing their next move, but Annika sensed he was frustrated. 

     "Alright," he muttered as he strided towards the window, "follow closely and remain silent."

     Soren unlocked the window, and Annika realized they were not leaving the traditional way. The only problem was, they were on the second floor. How exactly that would work, Annika could not guess. Thump. Thump. Thump. She realized it was not a god playing the drums from the sky but her weakly working heart responding to her panic. Annika watched as Soren jumped out the window with the agility of a jungle cat. She gasped in fear and immediately ran to gaze down at where Soren was.

     He stood as though pausing on a casual stroll. No matter what, he always seemed to come off as calm and collected. A gift it was indeed. Annika was not so fortunate. 

     Soren raised his hands as if to catch her. Annika's eyes widened. He expected her to jump! 

     Hell no.

     She shook her head furiously, whipping her long braid in the process. Soren was the one who lost his mind!

     He sternly gazed at her, as if warning her. Annika's fear spiked, not because of Soren, but because the distance between them was too damn far. Gasping for breath, Annika looked back. What was the harm in taking the stairs? 

     "Annika!" Soren hissed. The skies darkened, and a clap of thunder soon joined after.

     A pocket of time seemed to freeze, and all outside sound muted. Everything was still, awaiting her next action. The only noise was the blood rushing in her ears, like crashing waves in a massive body of water. Closing her eyes, Annika threw herself over the edge. As soon as her body was in midair, her stomach whirled around in furious denial. The oxygen clogged in her throat, only released by the ground's contact. Then time no longer played in slow motion. The blowing of air came to a halt as soon as a pair of strong arms wrapped around Annika's body. The impact was heavy, but much more softer than the unforgiving floor.

     Relief flooded her body at the familiar touch of Soren's natural warmth. Lifting her eyelids, Annika sucked in a large gulp of alfresco as a sort of way to root herself securely to the current situation. 

     "We need to run-" a commotion broke out inside the tavern and boarding house they were staying at, "fast." 

     Annika didn't have to be told twice. Off they went into the cover of forestry. Her boots seemed to be so much louder than Soren's. He was next to soundless, almost like he was floating above the leaves and grass. Soren defied gravity by moving so smoothly like a fish in water.

     Though Annika was mostly healed, Soren was correct about her nonexistent energy. Her body muscles and lungs lit aflame after a few minutes of constant running. As if sensing her slow down, Soren took her hand and drug her along. He was insistent in getting away from a pending danger Annika was unknown to. 

     Then she heard what Soren must have sensed: many pursuing feet. They were being chased! Now her fear had something to be fixated on.

     Annika was on fire, suffocating in a cloud of blistering heat. "I can't-" Her desperate words were cut off as Soren lifted her into his arms without even pausing. They picked up speed as he ran with an unstoppable determination. Everything became a hazy view.