Chapter 13: From Past To Present

Torunn

I had decided to leave Lydia in charge of looking after Lucia while we were gone. Lucia was a bit upset, but I promised to make it up to her after we got back. After we got all the supplies we needed such as bedrolls, food, and weapons, the three of us set out on a carriage towards Riften to save time. We were currently riding through the snowy area between Falkreath and Riften. It was mainly because it was a shorter trip, but I also thought that the cloudy skies would keep Serana from getting too uncomfortable during the day.

Needless to say, the ride was very awkward. 

"So... you don't get burned to a crisp in sunlight?"

Serana sighed in frustration. "Clearly not."

I had thought that Cat had decided to try being more friendly with Serana after last night, but now I'm starting to guess that she's just trying to annoy her. She had spent most of the morning asking her questions about her vampirism. Just this morning she was insistent on knowing why she couldn't turn into a bat. 

"Huh. I always thought the sun was deadly to vampires."

"We're only weakened in the sunlight, but it gets worse the longer we go without feeding."

Cat nodded slowly. "...Feeding, like, food or-"

"Blood you idiot. I feed on blood."

Cat held her hands up. "Geez, take it easy. No need to get so aggressive."

Serana rolled her eyes and turned away, looking off into the distance. 

It became silent quickly after that. Cat had started looking through her Pipboy, the screen shining a soft green light on her face. Serana glanced at it curiously but didn't seem intent on asking her about it. 

After about two hours, we were out of the snowy mountainous areas into Rift territory. Almost immediately the snow around us disappeared, the white and grey landscape shifting to the different shades of brown, yellow, and gold of fallen leaves. 

"Holy shit..." Cat muttered as she looked around, trying to look at everything around her. As the sun started to get more visible, Serana pulled up her hood. 

"Is that it?" Cat asked as we passed by a small village. I shook my head. 

"That's Ivarstead, a small milling town. Riften is farther along the road."

Cat kept looking at the town. I noticed her eyes shift upward towards the mountain right next to it, fixated on the clouds swirling at the top. 

THUM!

Cat, Serana and I looked around immediately, trying to see what made the noise. I looked at our carriage driver, who had a look of confusion on his face. 

THUM!

The horses had started to get antsy, shifting uncomfortably. I pulled out Mjolnir and got out of the carriage, gesturing for the others to follow me. Serana's hands glowed white-ish blue on one and red on the other, her spells ready, and Cat had her crossbow loaded and ready to fire. 

"Head towards the town! We'll come to you when it's safe!" I yelled at the driver. He nodded and sped off towards Ivarstead. 

THUM!

I then heard a sound that I hadn't expected to hear in Skyrim: Cat's Pipboy had started ticking. Whatever was causing that sound, it must be something irradiated. 

We walked quietly towards what we believed was the epicenter, which led us towards a cave off the side of the road. I had recognized it, as I had explored it before to clear out a cave bear. But now it looked much different. The surrounding trees were torn to shreds, and colossal claw marks lined the entrance of the cave. I heard Cat's Pipboy starting to tick more frequently, which means we're getting closer.