Chapter 10: Dovahkiin

Cat

All around me I saw and felt nothing but cold and darkness, but was unlike the claustrophobic, stuffy air of the vault. It reminded me of that Anchorage simulation I went through, as I could hear a faint sound of the wind as chills went up against my spine.

Then I heard something. It sounded like a drum, but it was so close it resembled thunder and was followed by faint chanting.

The darkness went away, and in front of me, I saw a large wall carving, intricate figures scattered throughout. Concentrating on the carvings, I was startled by the voice of a grizzled old man.

We should have acted. They are already here.

It felt like my mind was in two places at once. In one I was facing the wall carving, and in the other, it seemed like I was flying, and below me was a vast forest, still fresh with fallen snow.

The Elder Scrolls told of their return.

I then looked at one section of the wall, which resembled winged creatures breathing fire onto a city or town, destroying everything in their path.

At the same time, I saw someone in the snowy forest running, but I couldn't make out details of the person.

Their defeat was merely a delay...

As I flew across the sky overlooking the forest, I was startled by a deep and terrifying roar. It sounded so close, it seemed like it was coming from... me.

'Til the time after Oblivion opened...

I looked towards a carving of an 'n' shaped object, possibly a doorway of some kind.

When the sons of Skyrim would spill their own blood.

Another carving, depicting a battalion of men fighting each other, all wearing the same armor.

I could see, again in the forest, myself coming closer to the running person. I could see it wearing some kind of armor. It was primitive, made of iron and leather. It ran towards the end of the cliff and stopped right before the edge.

But no one wanted to believe

I was getting closer to the person, and I saw it turn towards me as my shadow went over it, this colossal shape of a winged creature like in the carvings...

Believe they even existed...

A carving began to move and shift, and I looked towards the stone creature as the stone began crumbling. I flinched as when the eye of the creature opened, it's demon-like gaze staring straight into me.

And when the truth finally dawned, it dawns in fire!

I saw the creature that was flying in the forest land down, somewhat resembling a deathclaw with wings, it's green scaley hide and horned head standing out in the white snowy background. It snapped its jaws at the person in armor, who blocked it with an iron shield. The creature then unhinged its jaws, releasing a huge stream of fire, more powerful than any flamer.

But, there is one they fear.

I saw the person, who I now saw was a woman, standing amongst the flames. I saw blonde hair beneath her horned helmet, and sky blue eyes filled with determination. Torunn.

In their tongue, she's Dovahkiin. Dragonborn!

"FUS RO DAH"

As she shouted, the image dissolved, and I saw glimpses of what I assumed was her homeland. Wild animals hunted in vast forests, people in heavy armor fighting with swords and bows, and what looked like Torunn's healing magic being used by people in robes. Cities and towns surrounded by nature. It was just absolutely stunning.