[09] Smooth like stone on a beach

Start from the beginning

"I like number twenty-one," Mia commented at the sidelines.

Damien chuckled. "You said that with number ten, fourteen, six, and nineteen," he stated.

Emily giggled. "So, practically every guy who passed by us."

"Hey! You have to admit: yum, yum."

Damien scoffed.

Beside him, Andrew elbowed him lightly. "Is that jealousy I hear?" he teased, his blue eyes gleaming. "Green isn't a pretty colour, man."

Damien looked up (yes, he had to look up to meet eye-to-eye with Andrew) and glared at him. "Oh, haha," he muttered, "You're so funny."

"Don't worry, Damien," Mia cooed, "You'd always be number one."

He grinned. "Yeah?"

She didn't answer, but instead smiled at him and turned her attention back to the drills.

Well, that was weird. During the time I spent with both Mia and Damien, they never acted like that during their little friendly flirting. I mean, I knew that Damien was a flirt since I first met him, and so was Mia. Today, it just seemed like their overall flirty-ness was in a different weird, not-totally-platonic level.

Oh, my God! Was there something going on between them?

I frowned at this sudden revelation. This was so going to bring out the need to get them together instinct that I'd been trying to suppress ever since the beginning of uni. I shook my head, keeping my eyes on my friends. Damien was still acting like himself, and so was Mia. She causally acting playful Andrew as he returned the teasing, though it wasn't quite the same as her little teasing games with Damien.

I shook my head and focused on the boys. Maybe I was just imagining things. Well, imagining or not, I had to focus on my responsibilities. Even if it meant that I should have my one-hundred percent full attention on the field and not on-

Holy mother of chocolates! He just brushed her arm! Damien's hand had just lightly stroked Mia's arm in a very gentle and alluring manner! He was definitely putting the moves on her! That was Rule Three on the 'Does your crush like-like you or does he like you?' questionnaire in Seventeen.

I kept my vision on the field and put in my input in the conversation whenever I felt like I needed to reply to someone. My brain was already in the process of thinking up ways to get my two friends together without making it too obvious that I knew or else they would question me. Or without me having to use the Queen Bee alter ego to get them to get together.

"Watson! Martins!" someone called from behind us. We all turned to see Jonathan jogging his way towards us with a smile on his face. It could be mistaken that he was staring at all of us, or the general direction of where we were, but if you were me and you knew that he was in a secret love affair (okay, it wasn't much of an affair, but it was very close to a Romeo and Juliet-esque), then it would be very obvious that Jonathan had been smiling at Emily this whole, entire time.

He received props from the two men, a nod from me, a hug from Mia, and a very long hug from Emily. Damien had to clear his throat for the two of them to let go of the embrace. If their relationship wasn't so private, then I would probably be gushing on about how utterly cute they were together and I'd be most likely aw-ing every time they were together.

"So, how's practice for the JV's? They seem to be excited for their game on Saturday," Jonathan remarked, staying very close to Emily, but far enough so that there was no sign of touching between their bodies. It must have sucked to keep such a low key relationship so...low key. If I had a boyfriend, I would probably be trying to touch him with every chance I got.