Awkward Reunion [S1:E18]

Start from the beginning

"I bring you in public, don't I?" Megan countered.

I looked at her with my mouth ajar.

She lifted my chin with her finger and laughed.

"I'm just kidding."

"Then why do I have a feeling you're not?"

As we laughed together she pulled me into her while Charlie used the bathroom. After that, we jumped into her car and headed towards the pet store.

Once we made it, I clipped Charlie on her leash and handed it over to Megan.

"You're on Charlie duty."

Megan rolled her eyes. "You know, she's your dog too."

"Only when she's good is she my dog."

"I see how it is."

The warmth of the pet store surrounded us as Charlie's excitement heightened at the smell of other animals. Megan kept her leash short so Charlie couldn't roam too far and damage anything, but I knew my dog, and I knew she wouldn't be tame for long.

Especially when multiple dogs found her interesting enough for a visit.

"Charlie, no!" Megan scolded.

I turned to see Charlie standing in a basket of toys in search of her favorite one. At Megan's voice, her head emerged with a rubbed ball in her mouth, then, as predicted, she gave it a good squeeze.

The noise seemed to echo through the store and provoke multiple barks from opposing aisles. I stifled my laughter.

"Looks like she wants the noisiest ball in the crate," I said.

Megan knelt to retrieve the ball, but Charlie wasn't having it. She attempted to evade Megan while continuing to chew on the ball, causing more squeaking to occur. I was nearly doubled over in laughter when my girlfriend finally repossessed the ball from our dog.

Megan threw the toy into the basket.

"Thanks for the help."

I held up my hands. "You wanted to bring her."

"I thought you were training her to listen better."

"She's only three months old." I laughed. "We still have a long way to go."

"Well, she also needs a new bed because she's outgrowing her old one."

I looked at Charlie. "You're already getting too expensive."

Megan headed off towards the bedding area, but I got distracted near the dog sweaters. Okay, getting Charlie a winter sweater would be hilarious.

But when I looked up, the sight of Emma talking with an employee sent me spiraling.

I ducked behind another shelf and immediately realized that Megan and I were in the same vicinity as Emma again. Was God playing a cruel joke on us?

As I debated on what to do, I slowly crept past the dog sweaters and into another aisle in hopes to evade Emma and warn Megan.

But when I rounded the corner, I came face to face with the devil herself.

"Sam? Hey!" she said as she pulled me into a hug. "What are you doing here?"

I forced a smile. "I uh... I'm Christmas shopping."

Emma raised a brow. "For a pet?"

"Stuff for my dog."

That's when her expression shifted into confusion. I looked around and tried to spot Megan, but she was nowhere to be seen. Why did Emma look so confused?