Dinner With The Francos

Start from the beginning

"James! Let her go! She is still sore!" Dave jumped up. When James let me go Dave stepped forward.

"Are you okay?" He asked softly.

"I'm fine." I said reassuringly.

"Sorry about that Sar! Come inside. Mom and dad can't wait to meet the girl Dave used as a speed bump!!" He said grabbing my hand and pulling me inside.

"Dude," Dave sighed. I looked over my shoulder and sent Dave a wink. He laughed as he followed behind us and closed the door.

"Dave? Is that you?" Came a sweet voice from the kitchen.

"Yeah mom. It's us." Dave called back. Soon a woman who looked a lot like James came around the corner with an apron on.

"Honey!" She wrapped Dave in a tight hug. "I'm so glad you're here sweetie! I made Chicken Parmesan just for you!" She smiled pinching his cheeks.

"Mom," Dave complained nodding his head towards me.

"Oh! You must be Sarah. I'm Betsey!" Just like Dave said, she gave me a gentle hug. "How are you feeling hun? Do you need to sit down?" She asked looked at the bruise on my temple.

"I'm fine Mrs. Franco." I said sweetly. I looked to see Dave looking at me sadly. "Really. I'm okay."

There was a minute that no one talked. I know Dave feels guilty. And I know his family feels guilty for him.

"Well, why don't we head into the dinning room?" Betsey smiled. I started following her and James down the hallway.

"Hey, Sarah?" Dave's voice made me stop.

"Yeah? You okay?" He shook his head.

"I..... I am so sorry for hitting you. I can't get that moment out of my head. When the car... When I hit you. How you looked laying there. When the ambulance lifted you onto the gurney. When I saw you in the hospital. There isn't a minute that goes by that I don't think about what I did and what would have happened if I hadn't left late...."

"Dave," I cut him off. "I'm not mad at you for what happened. I don't blame you. Think of it this way, if you had left earlier you wouldn't have met me." I joked.

"You're right. I wouldn't have met you. Come on. Let's go to the dinning room. I'm starving." He grabbed my hand and led me down the hallway. When we got to the dinning room. Betsey and James were setting the table.

"There you two are! Dave help James set the table and Sarah can help me in the kitchen." Dave started to object but when she gave him the "I'm your mother so listen to me" look he stopped making me laugh. I followed Betsey into the kitchen.

"Can you cut the tomato for the salad?" She asked sweetly.

"Of course." I smiled.

"Honey, do you mind if I ask you something?"

"Ask away." I smiled as I began slicing the tomato.

"Are you really okay or are you just saying that to protect my son?"

"I'm not lying or keeping my pain from anyone. I am still sore but I'm healing and getting stronger everyday." She nodded at me with a sweet understanding smile.

I continued cutting the tomato as she washed the lettuce. "I just wanted you to know that I don't blame Dave for anything that happened. I hate how he blames himself. I was the one who went running. I was the one in the middle of the street. I was the one who wasn't looking where they were going. I was the one who was distracted. I wasn't thinking straight. I was just trying to get away." I didn't notice a tear fell until Betsey caught it.