Two

Dear Diary,

I look like a panda. Minus the cuteness. I hate Fairview as much as I hate moving boxes. That being said, not all hope is lost. Have been informed by town gossip that there is a doctor who is also a bachelor who may or may not be looking for love. Could he be the one? At least something good might come out of Fairview.

Signed,

Ashley

The next morning, exactly as I'd predicted, I wake with a large deep purple circle rimming my eye. I do my best to disguise it with concealer and foundation but the colours seep through in a gruesome display anyway.

Becky and Mom are in the kitchen making breakfast. My sister douses scrambled eggs in hot sauce, quite possibly the most disgusting thing ever, while Mom butters toast, leaning her weight on her good leg.

Ugh. I squeeze my eyes shut, wincing slightly at the pain, and turn my head. I don't do breakfast. I know it's the most important meal of the day, but coffee is my fuel and without it, I turn into an evil dragon lady.

I grab a cup of coffee and take a sip. It's deplorable. I’m a latte with extra shots kind of girl and, living here, the best I can hope for is a pack of instant, generic brand java. Generic or not, I intend to drink it outside so I can feel sorry for myself in relative peace until my mom says, “Ashley, eat.”

“I don't really…”

She cuts me off. “You do when you're under my roof. Sit down and eat a proper breakfast.”

I roll my eyes behind her back and spin around, flopping down in one of the chairs.

Becky continues her task of making her eggs unrecognizable as she says, “You're still so negative, Ash. Always A Negative.”

I stick out my tongue at my sister's mention of my childhood nickname. “And you are just a regular ray of sunshine, B Positive, I guess, huh?”

“Mind your tone,” Mom scolds.

My mouth drops and Becky giggles. Mom, hindered by her air boot, hobbles over and sets a loaded plate on the table in front of me. “She started it,” I mutter.

There isn’t an ounce of sympathy in her voice. “I don't care who started it. I'm ending it. Eat.”

I feel like a child again, because I do exactly as she says.