Part 4

"Mommy, wake up

"Mommy, wake up. Mommy, please."

"Paisley? Baby, what's wrong?"

Her mom tried to hug her and reached for the lamp, but Paisley moved away. "Hurry. He's so cold." Tears ran down her face and sobs shook her tiny body. "Mom, please."

Seeing her daughter's despair, her mom nodded. "Okay."

When her mom reached for her robe and slippers, Paisley rushed from the room and down the stairs.

She was already waiting by the car when her mom made it to the front door.

"Lord have mercy on us both."

She heard her mom say before she disappeared for a moment. When she returned, she had Paisley's jacket and the keys.

"At least put this on before you freeze."

"We have to hurry."

"I know. I heard you. If your father was alive, he'd think I've lost my mind. Following you around on all your odd quests. If it's not one thing, it's another."

Paisley was used to her mom's ramblings.

"You don't even have shoes on."

Her mom would grumble that's what she was best at. She was also best at being a mom.

Once they were in the car and moving, she wiped her tears away and tried to stay calm.

Her mom would make it better. She would help him.

Dark brown eyes met her blue-gray eyes in the rear a view mirror. "Same kid?"

She gave a small, sad nod and had to wipe away more tears.

The boy. She couldn't think about him without crying. He was sad and lonely. He didn't have a mom like hers.

She didn't know what kind of mom he had but she couldn't be like her mom.

He was always sad and lonely. Cold and hungry. Sometimes he was hurt.

She was always sad when she thought about him and she always thought about him. He was more real to her than anything in the entire world.

She'd only met him once. On a night like tonight. He'd been hurt, and she'd felt his pain like it had been her own.

That time it had taken her longer to convince her mom they needed to go. She hadn't even known where to go but she knew where he was. She always knew where he was.

"Paisley, I swear you better stay in this car. I won't have you in that house ever again."

"He's not in the house, mama. He's hiding under the big tree in the backyard."

Dark brown eyes met hers again. "How do you know that?"

All she could do is shrug her thin shoulders. She didn't know how she knew, she just knew. Just like she knew the boy never cried anymore.

"I deserve a medal. Solid gold one."

When they pulled into the empty driveway, they both stared at the dark house.

"Remember what I said. Don't leave this car."

"Promise. Take my coat. He's cold."

Thirty-five. That's the number she got to before she saw her mom coming back with the boy.

He was wearing the pink jacket her mom had just bought her last week. He kept his head down.

When her mom opened her door, Paisley moved over for him.

"It will be okay. I'll call for help."

Once it was just the two of them, she dared a look his way.

His chin rested on his chest and he was still so cold that his teeth clattered.

She moved closer and took his small, ice cold hand into her own small hand. "I'm Paisley."

"I know." He whispered.

"How come? We didn't even talk last time and I don't know your name."

"I just do."

She waited as long as she could before she asked. "What's your name?"

"Doesn't matter."

"Does to me."

He finally looked at her. "I know. You shouldn't be here."

"I had to come."

He sighed. "I know. Jay."

Jay. Finally, a name so she wouldn't have to call him the boy anymore.

Her mom climbed in the front seat and looked back at them. "Help is coming."

Paisley jolted awake.

There was no help coming and she hadn't seen or thought about that boy in years. He had disappeared from her life and it had broken her heart.

Somehow, she had survived the night and her deranged kidnapper hadn't found her. It was daylight now. That gave her a chance. Quietly, she crawled from her hiding place.