Chapter 18

Hiccup and I had a pillow fight this morning. My heart aches to see him walk away, mounting Toothless and flying off. 

Business in Berk that can't be taken care of without him. Sometimes I wish he wasn't chief. Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing thing, but I hate it whenever he leaves me. 

I tiptoe past everyone's hut, as they're all still asleep. It's only about five in the morning, fog settling over the dim horizon, and it being a Saturday, nobody will be waking up for a while. 

Before he left, Hiccup had pressed his lips to mine, heat trickling from his hand onto my neck. I can still feel him there. My chest squeezes at the thought of this, knowing that I won't see him for another few days. I round the corner of the plank walkway, greeted by a wide eyed Sven, Stormy and Stormfly in hand.

I place my hands onto my hips, raising an eyebrow as he stammers.

"Care to explain why you have my dragon with you, and why you're up at this hour?" He bites his lip and looks down.

"W- Well, umm.. I thought, s- since Hiccup was leaving today, and you'll be awake, maybe, umm.. Y- You-" I raise up my hand to silence him. Poor kid. 

"Yes, Sven, I'll go for a ride with you." He lets out a long breath, grinning sheepishly. 

"S- Sorry. I can't act normal around other human beings." He laughs, then sticks out his hand to offer over Stormfly's leather. Leather. Hiccup.

I shake the thought out of my head, taking the thongs and hopping onto Stormfly. He mounts his dragon as well, and I scratch under it's chin. The dragon immediately moans, licking my arm. Sven is wide eyed, while I simply grin smugly.

"So, where do you wanna go?" He shrugs, obviously without plan. 

"Uh, I don't really care.. I just wanted to talk." I nod, giving a quick command to Stormfly, who dives off of the platform, followed by Sven's dragon.

He's a weird boy, but in my opinion, he just needs love. I think I took that away from him when I occupied Hiccup. 

We glide on the morning winds between sea stacks, simply floating there. I turn to him, and smile.

"So? What is it?" He bites his lip, frowning.

"W- Well... I'm not exactly sure." I raise an eyebrow, and he puts up both hands. "W- Well, I do know, I'm just confused is all, a- and that's why I came to you." I nod, so he continues. "Y- You and, umm, Ingrid are friends, right?"

I grin devilishly. Romance. Just the kind of thing to keep me occupied while Hiccup's gone. The two have only been talking to each other lately, and this is exactly what I expected. It was only a matter of time until one of them came to me.

"Oh, yeah, good friends." I place my hands onto my chin, leaning forward on Stormfly and batting my eyes as hard as I can. "Whyyyyy?" He blushes, looking away.

MUAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAA!!

I laugh, flying closer and placing my hand onto his shoulder.

"It's alright dude. I've had crushes too, and look where it got me!" He laughs, turning back to me. "And plus, I've seen what good friends you guys are." I look up, pretending to count in my head and on my fingers. "And what has it been, like, only two days?" He rolls his eyes.

"Excuse me miss, it's been two and one third of a quarter so far, thank you." I laugh, poking his arm. 

"See? You can be normal!" He rolls his eyes again, blushing profusely. 

"I don't think being able to state time measurements is being normal. Far from it actually." I grin, mussing his hair. 

"Well that's alright. Hiccup and Fishlegs are nerds, and they're the ones who got the girls." He laughs, sighing. "And plus, I think you and Ingrid are on good terms right now. She likes you, you're the only person she talks to." He smiles, fiddling with his fingers and looking down. "Which reminds me, how did you guys become such good friends so fast?" He purses his lips and cringes as he looks up to me.