Chapter 10

She looked over her shoulder briefly to see him smiling, full of disbelief and pride. It felt good to have someone proud of her. Before he could notice her seeing him, she turned around and waited for him to come up from behind her. When he did, he scoffed and blew his hair out of his face, trying to act unfazed by her skill. 

"Eh, I could do better." She laughed, and he broke character, doubling over with her as the wind whipped through their hair, calming and serene.

It felt good to laugh together. It felt good to have someone be proud of her. But most importantly, it felt amazing to be in love, and to have someone that loved her back, then, and forever. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Nadder blinked slowly, then laid its head down, surrendering under HIccup's hand. It seemed afraid, as if it was waiting to be hurt by Hiccup, and to just get it over with. He then kneeled down by the dragon, and put his head and hands down by it. I'm not gonna hurt you.

 The dragon's head popped up, surprised by HIccup's submission.

"I'm not gonna hurt you buddy." Hiccup looked up to the dragon, still on his knees as it began to sniff him, carefully. "Yea, see? I'm nothing like them. I won't do a thing."

"Umm, Hiccup?" Hiccup sighed, turning to look at Sven while scratching the Nadder under its chin. 

"Yes?"

"The dragon fight, it just ended." Hiccup sprang up from underneath the suddenly playful dragon, running to the gate to peer out at the two competitors. The razoring had a slightly unnaturally bent wing, and a very red looking eye, while the monstrous nightmare lay on the ground on the far side of the ring, still breathing, but very faintly. 

"We'll have to hurry up then." Hiccup ran back over to the dragon as the announcer began to dismiss the crowds and run over stats, as the two dragons where dragged back into their little prison rooms, limp and unable to fight back. He quickly cut through the metal chaining up the dragon using the inferno, with Sven peeking underneath the door every once in a while to make sure they were safe. As the dragon sprang away, looking under weight but still excited to be free, Hiccup held out his hand to Sven.

"W- What?"

"I want this dragon to be yours."

"But I didn't train him.."

"That's ok. I trained every single one of my other friends' dragons at home, and they all are more connected to them than I ever could be." Sven looked panicked for a moment, looking back and forth between the dragon and Hiccup. 

"H- Hiccup, I-"

"You won't be used to him at first, but trust me.. You guys seem perfect for each other." And Hiccup wasn't lying. He felt as if the dragon should belong to the boy, and that they would get along well. 

"Umm.. A- Alright!" He reached out his hand gingerly towards the dragon, which ran over to him to nuzzle his cheek immediately. "I'm gonna name you..." He contemplated for a moment before blurting out, "Stormy!" Hiccup chuckled. He and Astrid were gonna get along just fine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The night winds stung his freezing cheeks as they breezed through the stadium like area, picking up the remaining trash from the deserted stands like a whisper, ghostly and ethereal, blowing through, and then disappearing as if it had never been there. 

The moon illuminated the young man clambering up the smooth walls to reach the chains surrounding the fighting arena, Inferno sparking as flame whipped from the shaft, crawling up the weapon as it sliced quickly through the thin metal, sending sparks that drifted off into the silent night, accompanied only by the winds, calm ocean, and the moon.