[ epilogue ]

"and alas we shall kiss our lovers farewell as we disappear before dusk."

• • •

The chilled summer breeze painted through her hair and wondered curiously onto her cheeks as she closed her eyes to the endless relaxation. The brunette had rested her softened curls onto the surface of fields that were scattered with daisies. Millie loved her quiet space. She always had. Maybe she loved the extraordinary season of summer; the lazy patches of blue that painted the sky and the swirling blazes of heat that intrigued her curiosity. 

"Hey, Millie?"

A voice. The low but sweet tone of his voice that rumbled butterflies in her stomach that she restrained from bursting. Finn had been on the other side of the field, gathering all the daisies he could pluck out and keep. Although, that couldn't keep the freckled boy occupied for long.

The brunette's eyes drifted away from clouds that now gathered to be this peculiar blob, to the boy whose grin was spread wide on his freckled cheeks and midnight curls that bounced with anticipation. 

"What?" she had inquired. 

Instead of answering, the lanky boy had hobbled all the way to where Millie was and sat down with his left elbow that leaned on the grass for balance. Millie smiled as she reached out to play with the one curl that drooped on the young boy's forehead. Abruptly, she then saw him pick up the small daisy that laid lonely on the dewy side of the grass and then rubbed it against the tip of her button nose. She frowned as she wiggled her nose with annoyance.

"Stop," she said quietly, pushing his hand away. But, that only encouraged Finn to do it again. Millie's frown increased once she narrowed her eyes at the young boy. "If you don't stop that nonsense, I'll do it myself."

Finn snorted. "How many hours until your brother gets you?"

The brunette looked up at the sky once more. Of course. It was early June; most kids had already packed up and left to go back to their families and friends. Millie, on the other hand, didn't want to leave. It broke her heart just to think of it.

"Please don't remind me," she had whispered. "I might not see you again."

The freckled boy sighed and Millie could feel the pressure of his fingers running through her curls. "Don't say things like that. It's only a few months and bam! You're back at Saint Flints again." 

Millie grinned as she fiddled with the strap of her baby blue overalls. "So you're just gonna assume I'm going to come back?"

"It's not assuming," Finn said whilst he started to rip grass out of the ground and piled it childishly onto his lap. "It's a fact. I'm too irresistible for you to abandon me."

The brunette rolled her eyes. "You're something else, you know that?"

"I've been told."

The freckled boy looked around for a moment or two, before looking back at Millie with a grin on his face as he leant in to kiss her. The brunette pulled away.

"Since when were you so cautious when I kiss you?" he asked with a pout. 

"Charlie or mum might just come up this hill and see us." 

Finn rolled his eyes. "That's shit. You're own mother, walking up this hill, full of grass and flowers, with high heels to catch us? I mean your brother, I can understand, but your mother? Very irrelevant."

Millie giggled. "You don't know that. She's a very determined woman."

"And a snobby one too, from what I heard," the freckled boy said under his breath but the brunette gasped with shock as she punched the young boy's shoulder. "Be quiet!"

"I'm kidding! Seriously, I was joking," Finn apologized with a kiss on Millie's cheek. "Please forgive me, my love." 

"You're a fool."

"A better fool than Gaten, that's for sure."

Millie laughed. "You'll never let that down, will you?"

"Me? Letting things down? Of course not. At least Noah doesn't have to be around him anymore. I am sure that jackass controlled him or something. Too bad Even's a third year and he's a first year."

"Noah's sweet. I wished he hung around me more."

Finn pouted. "So he could be your new boyfriend?"

"God, what? No. Why- I see Noah as someone I'd be great friends with."

"Me too. I wish I gave him a chance though."

"What do you mean?"

"I was pretty much a jackass to him," Finn confessed as he played with the pile of grass once more. "Since, you know, he was one of Gaten's minions, I disliked him. Not as much as I disliked Gaten, but you know."

"Isak's told me Noah thinks you're a great person though."

"Really? Where did you find that information?"

Millie rolled her eyes fondly. "Do you ever read the school's newspaper?"

"Um, no?"

"Of course you don't. Well you see, Isak interviewed Noah and Noah said you're a great person and he'd like to talk to you someday."

"Huh." And that was all Finn could say. He was shocked but not so surprised all at the same time. He then grabbed the same daisy and rubbed it against the brunette's nose one more.

"What was that for?"

"I wanted to see what would happen," the freckled boy shrugged before leaning in to kiss the young girl finally. 

Millie hummed into the kiss with a rosy smile that spread onto her lips as she titled her head to kiss him back. She laid back down comfortably onto the grass and then tugged onto the lanky boy's polo navy blue shirt, indicating to come closer. He cooperated, pressing his lips back onto the younger girl as he slowly wrapped his arms around her waist.

"I love you," she mumbled and it was when Finn realized the brunette was crying. He kissed all over her face as if it was memorizing her precious cheekbones or hazel eyes that reminded him of pearls by the shore. 

"Please don't cry, I hate seeing you cry."

"I'm sorry," she sniffed, wiping her tears quickly. 

"Don't be," he whispered soothingly. "I love you too."

Millie nodded, linking her head against Finn's closing the small space between them. 

"Let's make a deal," the freckled boy had said. "Next year, we'll meet each other up here, at this same place, our daisy hill, and we'll stay here until night, looking at the stars."

The brunette smiled. "Promise?"

"I promise."

>> THE END <<