[ 01 ]

[ MILLIE BOBBY BROWN. ]

• • •

M I L L I E

• • •

The building was humongous.

It was covered with hardened bricks - tightly drawn together perfectly with pointed roofs at the top. The area looked nothing but dull and dark - not a single vibrant color peeking out. The only color that Millie could trace with her own eyes were the gates that were elevated, slithered on each side with magnificent golden paint and the tips that were carefully honed to make it sharper.

It bewildered Millie in a way. To her, the building looked like a dreading prison with pupils desperately trying to escape.

"Hey."

She took her wondering eyes off the window, meeting them with her older brother's, Charlie.

Charlie stood up tall and mighty as he was controlling the wheel of the vehicle, firmly, keeping his alerted eyes on the road. He didn't bother to dress up neatly; his white tee all haggard, the sweatpants he's been wearing for a week straight and his grubby sneakers, shoe laces untied scattered all over the place. His hair, caramel gold, uncombed with curls poking out here and there. He looked like a horrendous mess.

He didn't seem to give a shit though; with his smug grin, smiling from ear to ear.

"Come on Millie, St. Flintridge isn't so bad."

Millie frowned, slumping in her seat even more.

"Yeaaa," Millie draws out sarcastically with a heavy sigh. "Just like you calling mum almost every week, pleading with her to take you back home."

Charlie winces, as if he was about to protest, but he bit his bottom lip and kept quiet, eyes still on the road, and put his vehicle to a halt.

He sighed and turned to Millie.

"Look," he started. "The students in the school are- how do I say it- problematic. But the school system is very advanced. You should be at least a bit grateful you got in."

Millie was reluctant but still nodded. Problematic? Just splendid.

"Now..let's get your papers and you'll get your Academy Guide." He said, taking off his seatbelt and getting out his keys.

Millie rose her thin brows, with curiosity glinted in her big, brown eyes.

"Academy Guide?"

He grinned and reached over to squeeze her shoulder. "You'll see."

• • •

As they finally reached the gates with Millie's suitcases, Charlie came to a halt facing the speaker of the side of the gate.

"Enter ID here," the computerized voice commanded.

Millie watched quietly as Charlie fiddled through his pockets looking for the item that the system asked sternly.

"What's that?" she asked, swaying side to side, still watching.

"An ID to get into the school. I told you Mills, this school is fucking advanced."

Once he finally got it, he held the card to the red beaming dot, which scanned the ID carefully.

The system clicked as it said, "Code 40291 in command. You may enter."