So Big / So Small

"So what's up?" mom says while sitting next to me on the couch.

     I fiddle with my fingers before speaking. "Mom you know about Connor Murphy, right?"

     "The reason for the Connor project. Yes I remember."

     "Well, I said that I lied about being friends with him. That was a lie.  I was actually in a romantic relationship with him. For.... quite some time. Like a few years. Without telling you,"I prepare for harsh words, but nothing. I just see my mom smiling. She sets her hand on my shoulder.

     " I knew about your relationship with Connor, Evan,"she says,"I know when your lying. I knew you were lying when you said you and Connor were friends. I automatically knew you guys were more than just friends. And I also, I know that you've attempted to... um, before."

     "You're n-not mad?"I ask with my voice wavering.

     "No I'm not mad. I'm just kinda upset that the boy who was supposed to be my future son-in-law is gone."

     Tears involuntarily start falling down my face. "I was just so worried you would get mad or leave me too."

     "Evan, come here," she opens her arms. I scoot into her arms. She wraps her arms around me and I hug her back. "Evan I'm your mom. Your mom isn't going anywhere, your mom is staying right here, no matter what. I'll be here."

     "Thanks mom,"I whisper.

     "You aren't getting rid of me that easily. I'll be here for you, for forever."