Chapter 28 - Final

They kept me drugged for a while and I was in and out of it for the remainder of the day. I would wake up groggily only ably to catch a glimpse of the dark room and the red eyes before dozing back off. The drugs they were using had infected my system so much that words were no longer registering in my mind and things seemed so serial.

A loud crashing noise woke me. There was yelling and I fought to open my eyes to see what was going on. I watched as a fire ball was hurled and I saw Damien running toward me. I blinked and his face was inches from mine. His blue eyes were wide as he asked me something, but his words didn’t register in my mind. His eyes looked me over frantically before he was tackled to the ground. I tried to fight it, but my eyes closed shut and I was asleep once more.

My mind slipped awake once again and the yelling and crashing noises continued. I tried to open my eyes again, but the lids felt so heavy that I was unable to. Before I knew it, I was in silent darkness again.

The third time, I felt myself being moved. Someone was moving my arms and legs and I felt the pain from the straps from on my limbs cease. The person that had released the bonds, lifted me up and my body tensed because the pain in my ribs and gut still hurt, but my senses recognized Damien’s musky scent and I relaxed and stopped fighting the sleep that took over my body soon after.

I woke up a few more times after that, but I only managed to open my eyes once, but couldn’t remember anything from it. The other times, I would hear voices, but I was still unable to hear what they were saying. I was finally able to feel less drugged after a while and I was finally able to open my eyes to find myself back in my room. I groaned as I tried to move my stiff neck. The grunt sound that was made attracted attention.

“Here have some water,” Damien said as he brought a straw up to my lips. My throat was dry and the water felt good against it. He chuckled as he watched me gulp it down and when he thought I had enough, he pulled it away and sat by my side.

“You found me,” I noted with a smile, which he returned.

He bent down and kissed my forehead. “Of course we did. I wouldn’t have stopped looking.” 

“Where was I?”

“The attic of your house in the mortal world.” I snorted at the thought.

“He was my father,” I whispered. “Sort of.”

“I know. He called a few hours before we found you. He was trying to clever and evil, but it back fired.”

I closed my eyes, still feeling tired even after all the drug induces sleep. “Is he gone?” I asked with my eyes still closes.

“My brother has taken control of the situation. We won’t be bothered.” A pause went by as I breathed in deeply and Damien took my hand and rubbed the back of it with my thumb. It felt nice and comforting. He then started to play with the ring on my left finger and it made me smile as I remembered what that piece of jewelry meant.

I opened my eyes and with a smile, I said, “We’re getting married.”

Damien chuckled as he leaned in and kissed my forehead. “Yes we are.” He pulled away from me and admired the ring.

“I like late summer.” My words caught his attention and he looked back at me. “It’s also so much prettier then,” I continued.

He smiled and replied, “Late summer it is.”

*****

The day had finally arrived. I was dressed in this fancy white dress that took three hours to find and my hair and make-up was done to perfection thanks to the stylists. My sister, Aria, looked perfect in her lavender chiffon dress as she beamed at me through the mirror.

“Stop that,” I playfully scolded.

“What?” she asked innocently. “I can’t admire my little sister in her wedding dress?”

I giggled. “Nope.” She pretended to be hurt, but laughed right after.

Kimbra made her way into the room and I turned around to greet her. “You look beautiful!” she gushed as she tried to hold in tears of happiness. I only smiled and she quickly pulled herself together before adding, “They are ready for you. Your father is waiting just outside the door and your fiancé is eager to see you.”

I smiled at her. “I’m ready.” I nodded to Aria who nodded back.

“I’ll see you out there!” And with that, Aria took her mother’s arm and walked out of the room together.

I stood up and thanked the stylists before they also scattered out of the room. I looked myself over one more time before taking a deep breath and meeting my father outside. His eyes shined with happiness, which mimicked everyone else’s as I wrapped my hand around his elbow.

Walking down the aisle was like a dream. I never thought it would happen, but there I was in the gown made perfectly for me and walking toward the one person I could always count on, who sported a dashing smile as his bright blues was focused solely on me.

“This is the perfect fairy tale ending,” I thought to myself. “And I never want this to end!”

******

Third-Person Point of View

*1 Year Earlier*

As Madeline McCoyreminiscedof the memories that day, her tears fell from her cheeks in waves. Her heart was heavy from a friend’s betrayal and misunderstanding and the unsuspected break up with her beloved Dilan. Everything in her life was wrong and she longed to give up and leave this nightmare.

She wanted to leave behind the drug addicted mother and neglectful father. Without Trixie and Dilan, things were bearable. They helped her through the life of an abused and neglected childhood. But without them, her life wouldn’t be bearable.

The loud noise of the door slamming stopped her mother’s screaming, but only for a moment. Madeline could hear crashes and banging noises soon after as her mother threw items across the room above her. Tears flowed even more from Madeline’s eyes, thankful that the lock on the inside of the basement door would keep her mother away.

“Oh god,” Madeline groaned when another crash filled the air. “Will this ever stop?” she asked to the ceiling with tear streaked eyes.

Madeline finally turned over onto her side thinking back on the events that happened that day once more. She continued to question herself over and over again, wondering why Dilan would broke it off so suddenly. She closed her eyes with a heavy sigh, wishing that she could be anywhere but there.

Eventually she fell asleep, dreaming of that wish finally coming true and her life in another place. She dreamt that she had found a man that claimed to be her biological father. She dreamt of having abilities and demons. And she dreamt of one of those demons, giving up everything for her out of love. Her dreams were made of wishes that her heart had made, but reality wasn’t going to let them come true.

Flames consumed her world as Madeline slept, dreaming of a better life. The outside world was full of chaos as stayed unaware of the sirens outside her home and the smoke and flames that surrounded her.

The firefighters were convinced that her mother was the only one inside, until one found the locked basement door. He bravely kicked it open and rushed down the stairs to the bed where Madeline lay surrounded by the flames in her deep slumber.

Dilan and Trixie watched as she carried out and rushed to the hospital. They followed the ambulance and met her father who stood with a tall pretty woman by his side. He shed a few tears as the doctor announced that Madeline would live, but would possibly never wake up.

Years had passed and Madeline continue to dream of a life she would never have. She often had a smile on her face, which looked scary and grim to others. But her dreams were wishes her heart made and awake, her wishes would never come true.

*****So yeah, that just happened. The whole concept of writing this story, was to have the tragic ending at the end. I had this vision for a while and the last chapter may seemed rushed, but it's exactly how I wanted it to end. Thanks for the support everyone and be sure to comment and go read the other stories I've written! *****